Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Too much plastic surgery?

Old 09-04-2002, 11:50 PM
Too much plastic surgery?

I took this photo and wanted to glamourize it. When I showed it to my client (wife), her first comment was: "I look dead."

Did I overdo it?

I used gausian blur, and created a history brush to remove wrinkles and blemishes, added lip color, makeup, lashes, reduced glare on glasses and reduced the size of the reflection in the eyes. I adjusted the line of the jaw slightly.

I will reply to this post and attach the original for comparison. (I would really rather have suggestions/impressions for how to improve then have a wizard take the original and do a better job--I really want to learn!!!)

Much thanks for your consideration. I love this site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loriglamour2.jpg (99.3 KB, 164 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2002, 11:53 PM
the original

Here is the original for comparision.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lorioriginal.jpg (97.2 KB, 153 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2002, 01:11 AM
I do not think you overdid it. In fact, I think you did an excellent job at removing the wrinkles, reducing glare, etc... but do have some suggestions-

First, the "dead" look is a result of the color in the original photo. If you look at the color info for those areas on the face (around the edges) you will notice significant levels of Cyan and Black. (I edit skin tones in CMYK) If you remove most of that Black and lower the Cyan, her skin will look much more "alive".

Second, you smoothed out her skin very well but left the hair the same! Go ahead and blur the hair a bit and maybe darken it a tad...and eliminate the rest of that reflection in her glasses.

I went ahead and fiddled a bit with the image....I will write the steps down if you want...but I really have to get to bed right now!

You have already made an excellent start on this and it just needs a bit of tweaking...hopefully the client will love it!

Darn....just reread your post and realized you did NOT want anyone to take the image and fix it...just wanted suggestions...sorry about that. I read fast and thought the opposite. Like I said, I really need some sleep! I will be sure to write my steps down first thing tomorrow, if you want to try them out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loriglamouroption.jpg (61.0 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by G. Couch; 09-05-2002 at 01:22 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2002, 01:25 AM
Nice one Greg. I think you should tell us what you did though (when you wake up).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2002, 04:39 AM
It looks good, too good.
I think it order for it to look realistic to the customer, you have to leave some of her lines and wrinkles. I would layer your version over the original and adjust the opacity, to allow some of those "flaws" to show through.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2002, 05:14 AM
I think you did a wonderful job, but I have to agree with Greg and Vikki.

The suggestion that vikki made is dead on. One mustn't get rid of TOO many flaws. Esp if those flaws are part of someone we know over the years (Moles, freckles).

Otherwise I think you done a marvelous job and I'm jealous I can't do something like that yet.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2002, 05:54 AM
Thumbs down dump the background

I agree with the suggestions that you received already. In addition to that I'd suggest that you dump the cloudy background and replace it with something else. The background and your wife's hair have too many colours in common. She is kinda 'drowning'in it. For a glamour pic you'll want her to stand out a bit more. But anyway, good job so far.

Mind dancer
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2002, 07:11 AM
Okay here is my 2 minutes worth. One thing I noticed is that she kind of looked dead in the picture to begin with. What really jumped out at me is that even in the original, she is missing the dark outer lining around her pupils that most people have, at least it isn't visible. The eyes make a huge difference.

I added that and also, added some warmer colors by adjusting the color balance, then I pasted the old into a layer over the new one and changed the opacity to 25% to add back in some of the character to her face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alive.jpg (75.7 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2002, 08:22 AM
These are great tips everyone. Thanks.
Greg, when you wake up, a little description of what you did would be very helpful to me.

Last edited by gland; 09-06-2002 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2002, 08:33 AM
Welcome to Retouch Pro Avprod 1. You have the right idea in the glamourizing and I think you did a great job. You changed the background and that works however, 2 things that might help to glamourize better would be (1) to soften her hair so it doesn't look so sharp against her soft features of her face. That really stood out in my mind. You don't have to blur it just soften lightly. Also (2) it's not easy to glamourize someone wearing a t-shirt. I know that's getting into some real manipulations but I do think it takes away from your goal just a tad.
Now don't take all this criticism as a sign that you did any thing wrong. You definately softened her features and it looks great. Look forward to seeing more of your work. You're very good at this.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help