Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Changing the color mood of an image

Old 08-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Changing the color mood of an image

Hello guys,

I am currently working on this image where the model has a black outfit. What do you think would be the best way to change to the color of the belt around the neck and the dress to white ( as in the image below), while retaining the texture (of course).

I was thinking a color overlay or duplicating the dress, swap the color, and lower the opacity and play with the blending mode. The results are not quite what I am looking for.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg A0001568.JPG (89.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg emma_frost_2_by_snarkshot-d3du43w_1_1.JPG (96.9 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2014, 01:00 AM
Re: Changing the color mood of an image

Good luck with this one! If there is enough detail I would use Shadow/Highlights to lighten and expose all the detail in the dress. I'd work temporarily in CMYK and use the channels to create masks of the separations - these can be strengthened/reduced with curves. Make a mask of the dress and fill the shape with solid white. Yes, it does look odd. Use the individual CMYK masks to add back the missing shapes/curves/volume of the dress with a combination of solid paint (black and maybe blue for a crisp white) and dark/light curves. This depends on how well defined the individual colour separation masks perform; could be that curves are sufficient. You won't achieve the result in one hit and will need a handful of different blends and opacities but I've used this technique plenty of times (but not from such a dense black origin) and as usual, it's case dependent
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help