RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How do I get this colors?

Old 07-07-2015, 07:24 PM

How do I get this colors?

All that I know is that this photo was taken with canon mark 3 and this is not a film. So how I can achieve this look?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.6 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2015, 03:15 AM

Re: How do I get this colors?

And what is your question? I don't see any special colors. Skin looks like skin, and rock looks like a rock. What else do you see there? How to lift the black point up? Go to curves and lift it up. You can add grain by going to noise filter.

Last edited by Tulack; 07-08-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulack View Post
And what is your question? I don't see any special colors. Skin looks like skin, and rock looks like a rock. What else do you see there? How to lift the black point up? Go to curves and lift it up. You can add grain by going to noise filter.
Yes? And how? I tried. Only if to get accustomed, it is noticeable that not only the point black is lifted, but also white shades, not saturated, dark skin are lowered. Shades.
Give me a sample, please.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2015, 06:17 PM

You could produce something similar on almost any camera (fwiw it doesn't even look like film, so I don't know why you mentioned that). Let's just go over the areas where most people make mistakes. When trying this on your own, I suggest keeping this and other references nearby so that you can compare frequently. You would be amazed at how quickly people start to forget what they're trying to match.

Important things seen here are

natural light, which is definitely diffused. Light isn't too high. The brightest portion is to the left of the frame, and it has some fill from below. This is important. It's likely that the fill made her chest and arm and possibly the dress too bright. If you set your exposure setting too high when processing the raws, it'll make it even worse.

You can set white balance slightly warm if you like. Balance the exposure slider to the face or better yet use a good (and well tested) ambient meter held by the face, and leave the slider alone in post.

Now in post darken the background a bit using whatever tool you choose without increasing its local contrast too much. Do so until she pops just slightly. Also make the background a slightly cooler tone. It will make her look warmer without having to overdo it. On the skintone you want it a bit warm, meaning that it should have enough yellow, especially in the face. Saturation should be relatively low. If it looks weird, a common issue is that some parts such as the arms or chest are too bright. They probably adjusted that here.

I'm not sure how much the eyes were adjusted. You want them to read well. Otherwise it can kill the image. Ensure that pupils and the edges of the irises are well defined and whites of the eyes aren't too dim. Just be careful with this, because it's extremely easy to overdo it.

I can see some shading, but I would start with this. It's much easier to figure out the small detailing once you're closer to a desirable result. Black point was not necessarily lifted. I didn't take the dress as an indication of that, but if you find the deepest blacks diverge too far from r=g=b, then just pull up the appropriate black points on a curves layer to reach the desired balance.

Most of what I mentioned pertains to details. Dealing with non-neutral (relative to color space) shadows is trivial compared to the rest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentrowan View Post
Yes? And how? I tried. Only if to get accustomed, it is noticeable that not only the point black is lifted, but also white shades, not saturated, dark skin are lowered. Shades.
Give me a sample, please.
Here is an old video for almost any "how to" situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHvfVc_8eMc

I can even give you luts I made to make your life easier.

https://app.box.com/s/yxpqjtnysjv9ihmia0g1wm18ehw9lrn6
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulack View Post
Here is an old video for almost any "how to" situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHvfVc_8eMc

I can even give you luts I made to make your life easier.

https://app.box.com/s/yxpqjtnysjv9ihmia0g1wm18ehw9lrn6
that helps a lot! Thanks!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help