RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Old Document Restoration - Advice?

Old 09-11-2015, 02:14 AM
Patron

Old Document Restoration - Advice?

Hi there! This is my first post and I'm still finding my way around this wonderful site. To begin, I am sending a plea for advice with restoring an old document. There are many difficulties including missing pieces, tape stains over text, faded handwriting, etc.

I won't bore you with the details but I have made several laborious attempts. I'm sure there must be more efficient methods. I have scoured the internet but, as this is a document with text & not simply a photograph, I have been unable to find much help.

So I ask…Please, is there anything here on RetouchPro that someone can point me toward for help…a tutorial? A link? I don't want someone to just do it for me…I would like to learn the "how-to" myself.

You can download the photoshop zip file here (File size: 44Mb file) if you'd to have a look or a play. Logistics: Original document is scanned in two pieces at 600 dpi in color & saved as tiff files. In the PSD file (@300dpi) I have stitched the 2 pieces together but otherwise, it is untouched.

I would be so very grateful for any assistance, enlightenment or sympathy. Thank you so much & I look forward to hearing something from someone at some point.

Love the site…many thanks. Peace to all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150828_Margaret_doc_restore_sample.jpg (151.7 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by BTD314; 09-13-2015 at 11:53 PM. Reason: add attachment, change link
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2015, 04:26 PM
Patron

Smile Re: Old Document Restoration - Advice?

Hi

Welcome to Retouch Pro. Just tried to download your document and it came up with a message that it wasn't there, not too sure why. If you are able to check that would be good. If you can, its a good idea to load a small version up on the site with your post for reference purposes in the future.

Can't comment at this stage on the specifics of your document but for myself when I have dealt with old text documents it has often been to try and improve the clarity of the writing and there are a number of different ways to boost contrast using Levels and Curves and sometimes Multiply blend mode. It is a balance though because if you over whiten the background then the document can look too new and loose its aged effects.

Look forward to seeing your document.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2015, 09:12 PM

Re: Old Document Restoration - Advice?

I tried using the color deconvolution plugin on your document and got good results re: removal of the tape marks etc. I'm trying to create a jpg small enough to post here, but it isn't working right now - I'll keep trying.

Follow this link for more info: http://4n6site.com/improc/decoplugin/main.htm

Cheers,

Kevin
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2015, 09:32 PM

This is just to demo the plugin's ability to remove colour. 2nd and 3rd passes would likely result in a pretty clean image, but be prepared for a lot of trial and error with colour combinations, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Margaret_doc_restore_01-web.jpg (98.5 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2015, 01:28 AM

Looks like quite a workload you've got there BTD!
Have you tried Image-Adjustments-Selective Colour for a quick solution to the clarity issue. Add 'Black in Black' and reduce all the colours in White. Then make Polygonal Lasso or Path along the edge of the tape and apply a colour curve. You can use 'Properties' in the newer versions of PS to refine the edge. Spend more time on the colour curve than I did and you should get a good match to the background not withstanding the texture of the old tape. Rough visual attached prepared while having my Cornflakes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reto.jpg (92.6 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2015, 07:26 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccormi View Post
I tried using the color deconvolution plugin on your document and got good results re: removal of the tape marks etc. I'm trying to create a jpg small enough to post here, but it isn't working right now - I'll keep trying.

Follow this link for more info: http://4n6site.com/improc/decoplugin/main.htm

Cheers,

Kevin
kmccormi - thankyou. I checked out the plug-in but unfortunately, they don't make one for Mac. No PC anywhere in the house (they're banned haha). Sounds & looks like a handy bit of software tho'. That came up pretty well!
Thank you again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
Looks like quite a workload you've got there BTD!
Have you tried Image-Adjustments-Selective Colour for a quick solution to the clarity issue. Add 'Black in Black' and reduce all the colours in White. Then make Polygonal Lasso or Path along the edge of the tape and apply a colour curve. You can use 'Properties' in the newer versions of PS to refine the edge. Spend more time on the colour curve than I did and you should get a good match to the background not withstanding the texture of the old tape. Rough visual attached prepared while having my Cornflakes!
Repairman...thank you also. I did try something sort of along those lines but I might persevere & try again now that you have confirmed that is a road worthy of travelling. I appreciate your advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2015, 12:07 AM
Patron

Thumbs up Re: Old Document Restoration - Advice?

OK...if there is anyone out there still interested...the broken thingy in my FTP has now been repaired & tested.

The link in the ORIGINAL POST is now active & correct.

The techie has learned something new so it was not altogether a wasted exercise.

And sorry if you guys have had a million email notifications as I've been editing posts. This was an unfortunate time & place to have this problem - my first post!

Just the way the mop flops I guess!!! Thanks for your patience & advice.

Hope there will be more helpful hints to come.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help