RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Bad Yellow Photo

Old 09-25-2015, 07:22 PM

Re: Bad Yellow Photo

Wasn't sure if the shirt on the left with the lettering was actually yellow so i just replaced the blue channel with the green channel, apply image on the new green channel in multiply mode, apply image on the red channel multiply mode, did a levels adjustment and removed the noise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img025Aa.jpg (87.0 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimatrix001 View Post
Wasn't sure if the shirt on the left with the lettering was actually yellow so i just replaced the blue channel with the green channel
It's quite a bit easier to do that using channel mixer, and your results will turn out better. Go to blue channel. Set blue contribution to 0%. Set green and red to the best combination of non-zero values. The red channel here should actually be negative. Green "shares" some wavelengths with both red and blue in the rgb color model. You want to approximate blue from green. You don't want the contribution from the longer green wavelengths. You get rid of it by subtracting red.

It's quite informal, so that explanation wouldn't hold up well under extreme scrutiny. It is basically the way it works though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2015, 08:10 AM

I appreciate the reply, not much in to the tech end of what photoshop does, just do things and try to get results that look pleasing to me and hopefully to the person i repair for. I have read most of the threads here on what different things do and it just goes over my head. My eyes are going bad cant see colors well but still try and get the job done, doesnt always work tho, and i have to try other things i have learned on this forum... there are some very intelligent people here, and I have learned alot
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2015, 09:27 AM

That sucks about your eyes . I commented because it was a similar strategy to what I used. I looked at the channels, and the blue channel contained a lot of artifacts and very little information relative to the other two.

The other stuff had nothing to do with photoshop specifically. I have some background knowledge in graphics at a more general level. It's still nowhere near a perfect method. Note that channel mixer also allows you to change your mind on percentages. If I delete a channel, I don't have much recourse.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2015, 10:40 AM

I always duplicate the channel before replacing, that way I can always put it back if i dont like it. When i use channel mixer I usually remove the color from the image, I guess i am just to strong on the sliders. The eyes happens with age. I am also just a dabbler in photo restoration and repair. Don't do it as a business just something to pass the time. I usually use what it easiest for me to get the job done and what i can remember. Never charge for what i do, mostly family restorations and repair.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2015, 01:13 PM

Hi Liz

Lots of great recovery jobs by those that have already posted. I will take a different approach. I know that what you can post on RetouchPro is limited to 100KB unless you are a patron and as such, the images can have heavy compression artifacts which make exploring all recovery options not fruitful.

I suggest that you get a scan of the image at 16bit depth and a resolution that would provided 300 ppi for your final print size using a good scanner (high dynamic range) and save in TIFF format.

With that in hand, there may (or may not) be the option to recover enough detail from the blue channel to provide options not possible with a JPEG compression starting point. JPEG compression compresses quite heavily on the color components and the blue took a huge pounding as can be seen in the adjusted channel breakout image below. There clearly is not much blue detail, yet recovery is limited by the both the bit depth available and the artifacts of compression.

If you want to give that a go, providing a link to the full 16 bit TIFF version of the image would allow other recovery options to be attempted by Forum members.

Just a suggestion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Channel-Breakout.jpg (96.1 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I always duplicate the channel before replacing, that way I can always put it back if i dont like it. When i use channel mixer I usually remove the color from the image, I guess i am just to strong on the sliders.
It happens when something requires multiple adjustments, yet you can only view the adjustment from one to the next.

Quote:
Don't do it as a business just something to pass the time. I usually use what it easiest for me to get the job done and what i can remember. Never charge for what i do, mostly family restorations and repair.
That's neat. I have restored a couple images here and there for friends and family as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2015, 06:45 PM

The family seems to enjoy the work i do for them. So do you know what the constants slider does. I played with it and it seems to do the same thing as apply image with the multiply or screen settings. It seems to blend the channel to make the colors more proper for the photo, if that makes any sense.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2015, 01:38 PM

Here is my global adjustment sequence:

1. Red channel blended into Blue channel via Calculations to reduce noise and yellow.

2. On a duplicate original, curves eyedropper adjustment similar to Doug's, but with less contrast.

3. A blend of 1 and 2 with a LAB curve for saturation.

4. A CMYK curve for better skin tone.

A better place to start from for more detailed fixing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg.jpg (78.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg.jpg (88.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg.jpg (85.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg.jpg (79.4 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help