RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Restoration help

Old 09-16-2002, 11:23 PM

I hope you find something useful in your reading, Kevin

I played with your image a bit. Unless it's lost quite a lot in the resize to post, the texturing in this one appeared fairly minor on my screen.

I deleted the Green & Blue channels, and then ran Despeckle once.

(If the texture you're seeing is much worse than on the image you posted [I used the original yellowed one], perhaps you can just post a section of it so that we can get the whole effect)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg john brown.jpg (96.2 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2002, 12:06 AM

There's a ton of ways to do this. What everyone suggested will probably work. An easy way is to duplicate the bg layer, select the bg, run the median filter (edit>fade filter if it's too strong). Then, with curves (or brightness/contrast), reduce the contrast in the bg. Maybe add some texture in the bg too. I kinda like the linen look in the original and I don't think anyone would notice it. It's kind of nice.
Mig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandfather1.jpg (72.2 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2002, 05:14 PM

Thanks to all for the help.

After looking at your tutorial Jakaleena, my texture problem looks small. I think that I might try to clean the picture up and see what I can do without removing the texture. If I can clean up the imperfections and keep the texture I will be OK. My objection to the texture was in part due to it making it difficult to clone the imperfections out. The descreen function of the scanner has broken up the pattern somewhat. I'll play around with both the descreen and the non-descreen images and see what I can do. Now back to the reading.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2002, 06:42 PM

hehe Mig, you seem to have pipped me to the post. Your retouch has kept all the elements, like sharpness and contrast and got rid of the blemishes. Good work
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2002, 09:12 PM

Here is where I am so far. I'd like some comments as to whether I am going in the right direction. Also what else might be done to improve the image. I haven't had a lot of time to work on it lately, too many other things going on. Anyway let me know what you think please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg john brown sr reduced e4.jpg (74.3 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2002, 09:33 PM

You got rid of whatever was left of the problems in spotting the picture. You'd already done a good job there, looking at the original, and in this version it's complete.
The background looks fine now, although there isn't much difference here than in your first post and you said the linen-look was the biggest problem. Now, if people take the time to give you the answers to your questions about removing this texture, then you should at least make the time to try their suggestions before asking for more help. The answers are already there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2002, 09:57 PM

Well Mig you answered my question. I guess I wanted to know if I was going in the right direction on the BG. I was saving the face for last. Besides I took you comment to heart that the texture may not be undesireable after all. But,I am going to attempt to use Jak's texture removal proceedure. I just need an evening with more time than I have available tonight.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2002, 09:32 PM

I've been working with quick masks and fill layers, basically following Jak's tutorial. Thought I would post what I have so far to see if I am doing it right. I have cleared up the skin a lot but am unable to get all of the texture out without making it look too fake. In the fill layers I have it set to 60% fill with about 85% opaque. I have about 6 different layers because I had to avoid the eye's, mouth, and nostrils. You may be able to tell me if I need to adjust the fill or opaqueness. I've been staring at it too much to be sure where I stand on the adjustments right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg john brown sr descreenrgb 360dpi1edit 3.jpg (88.0 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2002, 11:17 PM

I dunno, Kevin. I think I'd back it up a bit.

His forehead's gone pretty pasty and is a real mismatch to the rest of his face which looks pretty good...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2002, 10:11 AM

You're right, there is too much correction on the forehead. I brought the image up and backed off on the fill rate on that layer. It looks in line with the rest of the face now. Guess that is why you recommended the 2nd view window. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

There is still texture on the face but I think I 've reduced it quite a bit. This has been a good tutorial for me because I haven't worked with fill layers before. Thanks for making that tutorial available.

I think I have a problem with tonality. The backdrop and face seem to be much brighter than the suite coat.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help