RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Restoration help

Old 09-16-2002, 06:33 PM

Restoration help

This is my first post here so I hope I get it right. I have experimented before with restoration but now I am wanting to get serious. I have a good project now I am doing for myself, so there is no rushed time frame. I picked a real tough one, for me anyway, to start with. It is the best picture I have of my maternal grandfather who died 45 years ago. Most other pictures of him were done with the small "brownie" type of camera and almost all were out of focus and show no hope of enlargment. While this portrait is in bad shape I think it can be restored and make a fine present for my mother, and for myself.

The biggest problem I have is the "linen texture" is so strong that it makes clearing up the skin area difficult. I have looked for filters that would correct it but so far I haven't found the right touch.

What I have done so far is to rescan the image in RGB so that I can eliminate most of the imperfections on the backdrop and face area. The clothing seems to be no problem at all. I will upload two images, the original RGB scan and the post channel mixer version. Any help or directions you could give would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2002, 06:35 PM

Attachment 1

Should have been attached to original message.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg john brown sr after cm.jpg (99.8 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2002, 06:52 PM

Original RGB scan

Here is the original scanned at 360 DPI as an RGB image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg john brown sr rgb 360dpi.jpg (90.4 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2002, 08:30 PM

I will look at it briefly before I goto bed, but I am sure members in different time zones will answer back before me.

Just a few things, have you tried converting the image to CMYK etc and checking the channels, discarding the one (if any) with damage. Channel Mixer also could help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2002, 08:36 PM

Ok, I did a quick channel surf in RGB and the damage is all in the Green and Blue channels - so discard them.

However I thought the best result was found in CMYK, where I opted to KEEP Cyan and Black and bin Magenta and Yellow.

Hope that help somewhat to be going on with
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2002, 08:44 PM

Thanks for your input Mike. I'll check the CMYK as well, I hadn't thought about checking that. The first attachment was a post channel mixer image with the blue and green thrown away. Any ideas on the linen texture?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2002, 08:49 PM

John Brown Sr

I'm kind of new to restore and retouch myself and I looked at the first photo and I'm not really seeing any major problems, I may not know what I'm suppose to be looking for though.

I played around a little with the b/w and came up with this, I'm sure that there will be someone here that can help you out better than I can.

Good Luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg john brown kevinbe retouch.jpg (62.1 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2002, 09:00 PM

Thanks Scott. The problem is there is a linen texture pattern that the scanner picked up real well. It may not be as obvious on the reduced copy I uploaded. The scanner "descreen" function has helped but it is still very evident in the skin, which is the real problem. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2002, 10:24 PM

Kevin,

Questions about textured paper seem to be some of the most asked ones here, especially recently.

Check out THIS POST from yesterday to see if you find anything useful there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2002, 11:02 PM

Jakaleena, I 'm sorry I didn't do more searching. I admit that I thought that at first I had a moire' problem. But some textures might not fit that definition. I should have searched on texture, which it really is. You've given me a lot of reading to do. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help