RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Where to begin?

Old 01-23-2016, 10:54 AM

Where to begin?

I think I posted this question in the wrong section. Where would I begin on this image to remove the green leaves covering my brother-in-law?

http://i63.tinypic.com/2628jzo.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2016, 01:20 PM

Re: Where to begin?

You would start by sourcing an alternative "pieces" form another image, mainly for the shirt areas like the shoulder, the tree above the man, the hand... everything that has no detail(ok hand just might have enough), then transforming those to fit and masking them.
Now you blend in those areas by DNBing them.
Last, you even out the color.

This job is no joke, so you must REALLY want those leaves gone (we are talking about hours given that you already know what you are doing).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2016, 01:23 PM

Thanks. I know it's an ambitious project. I was hoping to be able to select by color and use color adjustments to match the colors with the shirt and flesh tones.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2016, 04:19 PM

Color you can simply paint in, and even use hue/saturation adjustment where the green and blue meet, but making it "be gone" is a doozy of a pickle.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frawgbyte View Post
Thanks. I know it's an ambitious project. I was hoping to be able to select by color and use color adjustments to match the colors with the shirt and flesh tones.
You can do that somewhat, but it won't look realistic. You would still have to reconstruct things as mentioned or at least illustrate your own details in that shirt. Just adjusting color balance and darkening will look weird on inspection. If you want to try that anyway, use a channel mixer layer. It would at least be your best option in an attempt to darken and color correc the green parts. You would use different ones for shirt and face. Beard might also be different from neck.

Even then I think you'll have to come up with some details, but it would get rid of the distracting green. Everything would look closer to the way you expect it to look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2016, 06:42 AM
Patron

As you asked for where to start this may be one way that will get you on the road to a full restoration.

Spent about 10 mins on this, just as proof on concept - you, I am sure will do a much better job taking more time and care than I did. I have only gone as far as the main issues on shirt and neck, the hand will need to be done in addition.

1. Image information is still available in the Blue channel. Make a duplicate copy and work on this first to even out the green leaf blur

2. Use the Blue channel copy in a new layer above the original. Set channel to Luminosity blend.

3. Add a layer mask and invert to hide this new layer

4. Now with a white brush on the mask carefully paint back areas of the shirt and neck. The colour and luminosity may still be off but will be fixed next

5. Make two new layers one for DnB and one for colour

6. Set Colour layer blend mode to Colour.

7. Now DnB on that layer and sample colours and paint over as required to blend in. Fine tune as required by going back and forth between layers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlueShirt.jpg (174.0 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2016, 06:15 AM
Patron

John, Welcome back to RetouchPRO
Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.
Poke around, have fun!
Just one thing to help the forum... If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here:
Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)
The save for web function in the latest Photoshop is hidden under File>Export>Save for web (legacy)

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads:
(Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread (as you did here), but also, always please attach an under 100K version (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links). (link to the highest resolution.. or the largest size you can upload)

For a Name change PM the Janitor

Followed the fine instructions presented by Tony W
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2628jzo.jpg (92.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Green leaves-OB.jpg (141.7 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help