RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help needed to validate photo

Old 03-04-2016, 10:35 PM

Re: Help needed to validate photo

Yes, that put me over the 100kb limit. Not familiar with drpboxes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPaw View Post
Yes, that put me over the 100kb limit. Not familiar with drpboxes.
There are many image/file sharing services out there. DropBox is one at https://www.dropbox.com/ and Google Drive is another popular one https://www.google.com/intl/en/drive/

Both are free with a small number of GB of storage/sharing. With either you could store an image in TIFF and share a link so others could access a higher resolution TIFF image.

Hope this is helpful and others may suggest other sharing services
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2016, 08:38 AM

Thanks John, I will try that and post when it is done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2016, 04:20 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ry2gm808nm...hoto5.jpg?dl=0

John,
Did this link work? Dropbox is pretty confusing to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2016, 09:42 PM

Hi GrandPaw

The link worked great and the image is about 600kb now. However, it is still a JPEG that is considerably compressed by either your scanner software or how you saved it.

Having it in a high resolution TIFF really makes a difference for the type of recovery that your are requesting forum members to attempt. Some of the techniques involve color channels or rotation colors.

Even though you may not see now badly compressed the image is by itself, I provide the image below to explain what is going on. It is the section of the most visible writing. JPEG compression settings in editing software often compress the luminosity more than the color components because the eye does not detect the color compression anywhere near as well as the color components.

To bring out the compression issues, I took your image and broke it into quarters with the left quarter being the original image, the second quarter is just the luminosity, followed by the hue component, and then the saturation component.

Note that the Hue and Sat components are heavily compressed and very blocky. Some of the recovery techniques are limited by this JPEG compression.

Now that you have Dropbox working, you don't have a much of a limit on file size. Can you scan and save in TIFF format (preferably 16 bit mode) and at very high resolution (e.g. where there are 4 pixels in the smallest element you want to recover such as a pencil width).

Can't guarantee something will be recovered yet this wil give it the best shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reverse-Side-Civil-War-Photo5-compression-artifacts.jpg (202.1 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2016, 06:14 PM

I only have one option and that is jpeg on this HP Office Jet and that is Jpeg and only 300 dpi resolution. I have another scanner at another place I will be in a few weeks and I believe it allows 600 dpi, but don't know if it will do a tiff file. I will research to see if there is a way around this.

Thanks John. The last scan I did I found a "best quality" setting and jumped theit over 3000 kb, but still a jpeg.

GrandPaw
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2016, 06:29 PM

Well, I researched and found a way. It is now a TIFF file and 8900 KB. That's the best this scanner can offer.

See if this helps! If it doesn't I will look at my other scanner in a few weeks. In the meantime, I'm learning how to scan, use a dropbox, etc.

Thank you John!

GrandPaw
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2016, 06:56 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gp0b6x82t2...hoto7.tif?dl=0

New link
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2016, 12:06 AM

Hi GrandPaw

Here is what I came up with. Not sure how much help it is. I cropped an area with a name or word and it starts with a B. You did not share the whole picture yet I assume this is from mid 1800s and not sure of to many names beginning with a B. Maybe Ben for Benjamin. Big guess if that is followed by a second word beginning with a S.

In any case, here is a link to the PSD file I used in case you want to use it in Dropbox and a screenshot of one one area with some writing. Not sure how helpful yet the higher quality image you provided made the options much better.

Hope this helps some and maybe others can help too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cemszpm4p5...Photo.psd?dl=0
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 10.56.27 PM.png (365.3 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2016, 09:51 AM

I used 4 versions on this with different layer blends which gave me this deep red version. Now unless i was looking at it for too long, there seems to be in the top left a small sketch of a sun and the word Cold bur or Cole bur. There is some writing under this but not enough to make out. Then more to the middle looks like a sketch of a man with a bag on his back holding his hand out holding something. Then there is the B further down and the few letters in the top right.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6oyw81zai...photo.jpg?dl=0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back of photo.jpg (89.5 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help