Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

my first attempt at restoration

Old 09-21-2002, 09:09 AM
Looks good for a first attempt. My suggestion is to work with small areas. Sometimes if you feel like you are getting lost, it helps to work in a grid to make sure you get each area. I did this once with a very scratched photo with detailed areas, and it helped quite a bit. Lots of people look for a quick fix for problems in photos (because it is time-saving and money saving). My suggestion is to take it very slow and sample surrounding areas constantly when using healing or clone tools. Even if the areas look the same, many times they are just a shade off. Also, even with the wonderful invention of the healing brush, it still leaves a pattern or a track in some cases. I had a picture recently where the healing brush or the patch tool just wouldn't work. For some unknown reason it kept leaving artifacts. The best rule to follow is that each picture is unique and you have to somewhat relearn how the healing brush / clone tool will react with that picture.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2002, 08:17 AM
hehe obviously after seeing everyones great work I had to try it too. I decided before I started to only use 1 tool, Clone. This is really to illustrate how limiting yourself need not be restrictive, also I noticed you are using PSP so didnt want to use tools you dont have.

As I say then, used the clone tool only at opacity ranging from 100% (for patching before subtler work) to around 20% for blending. The face and hair needed more work, I also added a slight touch of noise to the finished retouch and boosted colours.

Make sure your clone brush is medium soft (I used 9px) and then increased/decreased size as needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anitas-finished.jpg (39.6 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help