RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

I'm here to see the wizards.

Old 09-26-2002, 12:44 PM

Hope after all!

Angue and Jak both did great portraits. Maybe this pic isn't going to be hopeless after all. Just shows what miracles you can work if you have talent and incentive! <loud applause>

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2002, 06:21 PM

Wow thanks so much. You've all given me so much to work with. I am really digging in now. I will be back in touch as I progress. I've read and saved all of your suggestions and samples. Trying everything!

Debbie

Last edited by dcarr; 09-27-2002 at 08:52 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2002, 01:03 PM

With all the wonderful encouragement. I am making headway. Here is where I am so far with a way to go. But all your advice has been so helpful, I'm much more confident. Thanks again.
Debbie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sistermary2.jpg (70.8 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2002, 06:59 PM

Debbie, at this point you might want to try the following:

Make the red channel into its own layer then sharpen it and blend over the original in luminosity mode. Reduce opacity if it seems too light. This will make the glasses and mouth etc. sharper without blotching up the nice smooth skin you achieved. I tried it...worked pretty well.

Then you might want to smooth out that sharp edge between the hair and face by cloning over the edge with the stamp tool set to size 50 fuzzy brush and opacity of 80%. That did the trick when I tried it.

To get rid of the sharp outline on outside edges of her hair, bordering white background, you can just use a size 30 fuzzy eraser and go around it with an irregular motion, then use clone stamp here and there with fuzzy brush and opacity of 80% to make the edges look more natural.

You also might want to crop it closer by removing some of the left side and white space at top to make her look less wide and get rid of the excess background. If you crop it now to final print proportions you won't waste time working on areas that will be removed later. Nice job on taking out the other woman and fixing her dress, by the way!

I also would suggest removing some of the magenta in the picture since it is contaminating the shadows in her face. I tried adding a bit of green and cyan, just a touch, with color balance and it reduced the excess.

Oh, and don't forget to desaturate her teeth just a little bit to get some of the yellow out.

Bet you are having fun! Keep us posted on your progress.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2002, 12:25 AM

here is my next steip. Phyllis, I've just read your tips and I will try more of that next. Not finished yet and have some ideas for the background wil keep you posted.
Debbie All Criticisims welcomed.
Debbie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sistermary2.jpg (85.6 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2002, 12:42 AM

Hi Debbie,

Sorry I haven't chimed in until now. I've had my own nightmare pics to work on! It looks like you're well on your way to making this a beautiful memorial contribution.

The biggest thing that stands out to me at this point in your progress is the sharp edges - particularly between the skin tones and hair line. (Phyllis mentioned this too.) Do you have the colors on separate layers? If so, you might want to just blur the layers slightly to reduce the sharp edges. That might also help soften the outer edges. If everything is on one layer, then I'd go with Phyllis' suggestions - esp. since she tried them out before suggesting them!

I can't wait to see the background you put in!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2002, 04:33 PM

Here is my try...I'm on my way home, can't remeber exactly what I did, but I'll try to clarify on it later...I did this at work (slow afternoon) so I had to load it up before I left.

EDITED TO SAY...
I wasn't able to remember exactly what I did...

but IMO, the main things were...

-airbrushing the face and neck
-adding colors to the eyes and lips.
-touched up and added brightness to the teeth.
-I think I was in screen mode for a few layers (which made the image lighter)
-I also took her out of the background and blurred edges so she was a bit lighter than the background.
-The background was in the original picture...I saw it and liked it so much I cloned it and made it the whole background.
-then after merging layers and saving as jpg...I used those great features in PS7...auto color and auto levels.

-My goal was to make her brighter and stand out from the darkness of the picture.

And by no means do I think I am a wizard...just curious and love challenges, so thanks for letting me participate. What better place to learn than to follow the wizards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sistermary.jpg (85.7 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by summertimerules; 10-01-2002 at 09:31 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2002, 05:05 PM

Summertimerules,
I LOVE that background! How did you do it?
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2002, 09:13 PM

Second Step

Debbie, the skin color is really nice now, and she seems sharper but not too much so. I like that soft "painted" look myself and think it is the answer to this blurry photo, so I am glad you went that direction.

I would suggest that you tone down the eye color, and also make her right iris larger. I took a few minutes to test out some ideas of what you might do to make the eyes look more realistic, and am attaching the sample. Here are the main details:

Cloned the left (larger) iris and put it on a new layer over the other eye, then erased away the edges where it touched the lids.

Selected irises, went to brighten/contrast and increased contrast till the eye became shiny and glasslike. Darkened edges of irises where they meet the white of eye, using burn tool (irises are always darker around the edge).

In hue/saturation chose "cyan" in the top menu then desaturated it 85%.

Took color from center of pupil and used it with soft brush about size 15 to make larger pupils (larger pupils make people look friendlier, and small pupils have the opposite effect, and this woman was obviously a kind person).

Added darker flesh tone to inside corners of eyes (the whites never go all the way to corners...always red in corners).

Used burn tool to make edges of upper lids darker to give a subtle effect of eyelashes. Also on lower lids but MUCH less opacity and added a reddish tone, since I am assuming this woman did not wear make-up.

Lightened teeth very slightly with dodge tool and desaturated very slightly with sponge tool. Used burn tool to add separations between teeth at boundary with gums and just a touch at the lower edge of teeth. Avoid drawing a line all the way between teeth in keeping with the soft focus of the rest of the picture.

I tried to be subtle and keep everything gently blurred to match the rest of the picture. Hope you will find some of this useful.

Keep in mind that if you used some filters to make this picture look more like a watercolor or oil painting, then these little flaws would become far less significant and many would require no fixing at all. That is the route I would go. A "painting" would be a cooler tribute anyhow, in my opinion, since photos are much more common. Photos are common...paintings are special!

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eyes_teeth.jpg (38.5 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2002, 08:38 PM

Phyllis you have been a godsend. Thank you so much for all the time you have spent for me.
And of course all of you have been wonderful.. Tony, I neglected to thank you previously. Jeanie, your thumbs up are a great boost. Summertimerules, what a lovely contribution.
I am dilgently working to finish this and will be posting again as soon as I can. I intend to publicly acknowledge all of you for your contributions and support at the memorial.
Back to work
Debbie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help