RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

I'm here to see the wizards.

Old 09-30-2002, 11:57 PM

Debbie:

When I originally saw the title of this thread and the forum in which it was posted my initial thought was, "She can't be talkin' about me. I got no business goin' there..." and then got distracted. (Had the title been something like "Retouch Wannabe's - come on down!" I'da been on this thread like a cheap suit! )

Though near the end of the journey, glad, now, that I had a chance to be a part of this endeavor. Looks like you've gotten (and are heeding) some spectacular advice so far. We're blessed to interact with so many talented and caring folks at RP, aren't we?

Here's another twist to consider. If it's appealing you can apply it to about any degree you like via opacity adjustment. As you'll see I applied it to the rendition that hadn't yet received the recommended work (isolating each tooth a bit), but it will give you an idea of what's possible.

Here's the general technique:
* After adding a background and creating a merged layer of foreground and background layers, I went to the channels palette and (in this case) duplicated the red channel (it had the most face and hair details)
* Drug red channel to "duplicate channel" icon at bottom of channels palete (new alpha channel created)
* Select All; Edit/Copy
* Clicked the RGB channel (Red channel copy turns 'off')
* Switched to layers palette
* Edit/paste, creating a new layer on top of merged foreground, background
* Duplicated this copy of the red channel and turned off the duplicate (I did this in case I hosed up the experimenting to follow.)
[the next 3 steps take some experimenting to find the combo that works for you]
* Watercolor (7,1,1) to the layer some texture
* Unsharp Mask (100,5,0) to bring out edges a bit
* Angled Stokes (50,8,4) add texture
* Facet to soften the edges a bit
* Set blend mode to Overlay [try Soft Light, too]. Opacity=100%; lower the opacity setting to tone-down the effect
* Copied merged foreground/BG layer and drug it to top of layer stack. Inverted this layer (CTRL+I) and set blend mode to Overlay. Sometimes this improves an image; sometimes not.
* Duplicated original layer of Sister Mary and drug to the top of the layer stack. Clicked "layer mask" icon and CTRL+I (to invert layer mask). Selected Airbrush tool, soft edged brush a little smaller than the eyes, set FG color to white and airbrushed back in some eye color and detail. (I see upon posting I put back a little too much eye detail, but you get the idea.)
* Merged visible layers into a new layer
* Duplicated final layer so I could experiment with Lighting Effects filter. Although the image I uploaded does not have Lighting Effects applied, that effect seems to have possibilities for this image.

Another possibility to consider: If you're running PS6 or PS7, investigate the application of the "Rust Flakes" texture via the Texturizer filter. Location depends on which version of PS you're using. It has to be applied via the "Load texture" option in the Texturizer filter dropdown menu.

Good luck on this one, Debbie... actually you don't need luck. You have your faith and a lot of people who really care about you.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sistermary-dannyr.jpg (98.6 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2002, 07:46 PM

Hi Debbie!

I'm probably late, (as usual!).... and you had plenty of precious advice already.... but here is what I did trying to restore your picture:

1) I fiddled with 'Calculation' and its flexibility of blendings to remove the reddish cast.

2) I duplicated the 'corrected' layer setting the blending to 'Screen' and adjusting the Opacity to light up the image a bit.

3) I used Clone, Blur and Airbrush tools to clean the image.

4) I 'Layered via Copy' parts of the good background to cover the second person in the picture.

5) I carefully corrected and coloured the eyes to enhance them and used Layer Masks, (Overlay, Color Burn and Color Dodge), working on them with a soft Airbrush 5% Opacity to highlight some details.Merged down.

6) After duplicating the image I changed to LAB mode, selected the Lightness Channel, copied it and pasted it under the 'merged down' Colour Layer.

7) I used the High Pass filter to sharpen the 'Lightness' Layer, selected the Layer above it setting the blending to 'Color'.

8) Hue&Saturation, Color Balance and Curves were my last steps in enhancing the image.....
....and here is the result:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fsistermary.jpg (94.2 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Flora; 10-03-2002 at 07:54 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2002, 08:54 PM

Flora:

A wonderful restoration job, regardless of when posted!

~DannyR~
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2002, 11:13 PM

Flora thank you so much for responding. Your rendition is beautiful. Thanks for taking the time.
Danny your ideas gave me some new ones.
To all, Here is the almost finished product. The familly requested a background from her home in Ireland and gave me this. I think it's too busy, but it does have a certain quality to it. Am attaching my progress and once again apprecieate all and any pointers towards my end. Still unsure if I'll go painting-like, but am trying everything as the time winds down. I always did work best under pressure.
My best to you all.
Debbie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sistermary.jpg (86.8 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2002, 11:35 PM

That's a great background. To me the clouds seem to be "opening up" to welcome her into heaven.

Are you comfortable enough with layer masks to blend her layer smoothly into the BG?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2002, 04:23 AM

Danny

Thank you very much for your kind words!

Debbie

Thanks for your kindness!

Quote:
Originally posted by Danny

...the clouds seem to be "opening up" to welcome her into heaven....
...I agree...the background is surely full of atmosphere...but a bit too sharp in comparison with the main image...you might try to 'soften' or fade it a bit....
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2002, 06:22 PM

Thanks Danny andd Flora. Am working on the facial flaws right now and will heed your advice on the bkgd. That's what I thought and will get on it. Clock is ticking.
Debbie
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2002, 09:36 PM

I corrected the color as best I could with Hue/Saturation/Lightness followed by Color Correction
then Extracted the lady from the background and repaired the left side of her dress with Free Transform and a little cloning. Created a new background and then ran the image through Neat Image to remove some noise. Cropped in a little tighter, sharpened the eyes a little and cleaned up some dust marks to finish.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sistermary2.jpg (40.8 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2002, 02:11 AM

I notice a white line around her. Assuming she is still on a separate layer, here is what you can do to fix this. Select the empty non-Mary area with the magic wand, then go to the select menu and choose "modify." Choose "expand" and expand the selected area until it covers the white outline. Then go to select menu again and choose "feather" and feather to one or two pixels, whatever works best on the size pic you are using. Then hit clear and the white outline should disappear without leaving a sharp edge. If there is still some left, then back up in the history list and set the selection to expand another pixel or two at that step then redo the last steps. Or you can just do it all a second time since it's pretty fast.

As for the background, you might want to use a bit of guassian blur on it since she is blurry and the background should not be sharper than the main subject. Nice choice of sky, by the way!

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 05:48 PM

Well I think this is it. I'm bleary eyed and sad, but have reached the end. I tried to remember all your wonderful advice and used so many techniques that my mind is now fuzz! I've stopped here so as to avoid overkill, but if I've forgotten anything or still have something wrong please tell me. This has been a very draining experience emotionally and I truly mean that I never would have gotten this far so fast without all of you. Your advice and encouragement gave me the push to take this on and I will be forever thankful that I found this site. You are all pros in the true sense of the word. I wish that you were all there when the final copy is dedicated, but you will be there in my heart. I hope all who have viewed and/or responded to this post see this and realize what a part you all have had.
I still want your critiques to bring this to it's end.
Thank you all
Debbie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sisterfinal.jpg (97.3 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help