RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Need help reading text in old photo

Old 01-31-2017, 08:56 AM

Need help reading text in old photo

Hi,

I am new to this forum. The attached image is a selection from a photo that I scanned at 600 where the subject is a group of school children, 2 of whom are holding a chalk board on which something is written. I have tried changing contrast and a few other techniques to make the text on the chalkboard readable, but have had no luck. It appears to be a name (school name?) on the first line, the date on the second line, and the teacher's name on the third line, and the word "teacher" on the fourth line. On the back of the photo are the teacher's name (Carrie Braden) and the children's names, but not the date or the school name. I am hoping that someone here may be able to help me read the writing on the chalkboard so I can provide more information about the photo when I post it. I can email a scan of the photo (3.5 MB) if that would be helpful. Thanks.

Kris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chalk_board.JPG (58.3 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2017, 10:07 AM

Re: Need help reading text in old photo

Is the scan any better resolution than the attached image? Or is this the best that you have?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2017, 05:36 AM

Is there a Joseph and a Joan amongst the names? The two first names could be them but I cant make out the other.
I was thinking the second could be John but then I havn't been able to work the first one out without a p.
Tried a few things and I couldn't make out the writing clearly.

Last edited by sallyanne; 02-02-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2017, 08:28 AM

Hi Krisburton
Providing a shared link to the original image is better than asking for peoples email address.

Not sure if the project is about genealogy yet you may have a lot more information from which you can eek out the information from a different image. See if this works for you and if not it would help to share the original file.

Also, another trick is to reduce the magnification while viewing on the screen. The eye-brain combination can do some amazing processing when you look at the image as if it were further away.

It appears to be a couple of names on top and bottom and a date on the middle line at least to me. Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chalk_board-adj.jpg (82.9 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheeler View Post
Hi Krisburton
Providing a shared link to the original image is better than asking for peoples email address.

Not sure if the project is about genealogy yet you may have a lot more information from which you can eek out the information from a different image. See if this works for you and if not it would help to share the original file.

Also, another trick is to reduce the magnification while viewing on the screen. The eye-brain combination can do some amazing processing when you look at the image as if it were further away.

It appears to be a couple of names on top and bottom and a date on the middle line at least to me. Hope this helps
Its much better!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2017, 04:54 PM
Patron

Just want to echo John's point about posting a link to the original scanned file. The thumbnail has a low resolution (96 dpi). Too low to make out the handwriting. Scanning the image at 600 or 300 dpi and posting a link to this somewhere online should make it much more clear.

Mike
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help