RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help with final touch

Old 10-05-2002, 08:23 AM

Hi Mike!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
...I wasnt going to post, as I do not wish to seem nit-picky...
...I think everyone has the same doubt sometimes....but, on the other hand, on a request for help, this is what it's all about...sharing opinions, experiences, tips, shortcuts...etc.

I know that reading what other people wrote about my submissions has helped me a lot by 1) pointing out details I had completely overlooked...or had simply been unable to correct! 2) showing me different ways of improvement I could choose from!

So, in my opinion, as long as it is constructive criticism, (and here at RP I've never experienced anything but...), it is absolutely welcome!!!

Thanks for your tip about the Patch Tool....and your lapel is simply perfect!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2002, 11:28 AM

Thanks Phyllis for your comments. I don't know what the liquid was that got on this pic. The picture is of my Father-in-law who died 24 years ago. It has been in a frame for years and I don't remember what it was like prior to that. I just know it is the best portrait of him that we have.

Flora, thanks for the comments and the link to the BG tip. I will give that a shot.

Thanks Mike for your comments. Don't hold back. That is why I came to this forum. I want and need constructive criticism to help me learn and improve my techniques. Also it is very hard to see your own mistakes. I've been staring at this image for several hours now and I couldn't see that spot you called my attention to. One lesson I learned from my basketball coach in highschool was that "practice does not make perfect", only "perfect practice makes perfect".
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2002, 02:22 PM

What would Retouch be without someone having a stab, so in that spirit here's my contribution.

I started a little differently than normal, I usually steer clear of the Auto Corrective functions of Photoshop as I am never convinced of their ability, however caution to the wind I applied all three; colour, levels and contrast. It left it a little dark for my tastes but I will put that down to my poor calibration

Masked out Elbert and replaced background with a cloud filter, added noise, then on new layer I added another cloud render and created a halftone pattern of dots at the blurriest setting, set the blend mode to soft light and changed opacity to 33% this re-created the weathered backdrop.

Used the heal, patch and clone tools in varying degrees on the figure, concentrating on the patch tool for his jacket (the scratches).

Finally duplicated image and applied high pass, at around 10 and set layer to soft light and reduced opacity to around 40%, this bought back some of the sharpness.

(oh and for all my trust in the auto functions I also added an adjustment layer for levels and boosted the gamma slightly)

Lovely picture to work on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elbert-retouch.jpg (98.2 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2002, 02:56 PM

Wow Mike, that's great. I 'll try to work along with your description and see if I can duplicate your efforts. With all the info you guys gave me I will be working for a some while. And I thought I was almost through.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 08:41 PM

Well I thought I would upload what I have so far. I worked a lot today and have it almost ready for printing. Mike I wasn't able to duplicate your background because I guess I'm unclear on the proceedure. Still learning some of the proceedures and some are still beyond me I guess.

Anyway I decided on 2 different backgrounds and worked on both. But my wife decided on the plain background and not the one I put the most work into. But the customer is always right Huh?. This first image is the one I had picked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elbert-4 600 patch tool e5 mild clouds canvas2 copy.jpg (46.1 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 08:43 PM

This next image is going to be the final I guess. Still need to o somemore work with the patch tool and more tone work but you can see I have learned more about the patch tool. Thanks for all your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elbert-4 600 patch tool e5 no bg copy.jpg (45.2 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 09:08 PM

Hey Kevin,
That's really fantastic!! You'd never know it was ever retouched and that's the ultimate goal when restoring an image.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2002, 10:03 PM

Thanks DJ.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2002, 10:57 AM

Great job Kevin - as DJ says you really cant tell that it has been retouched at all. The skin tones are lovely and the jacket and background are also well done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2002, 09:09 PM

Thanks Mike, I just got home from work. We had to install a generator to get our Abbeville office up and running. When you get time I would like to get a step-by-step on how you got your background. It looked more natural than I was able to achieve with my clouds attempt.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help