RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help with final touch

Old 10-04-2002, 10:11 PM

Help with final touch

Hello again from hurricane alley. I wanted you to know that I have been enjoying this forum very much. I've been reading, doing some of the tutorials, and learning new skills. This site has been a big aid to me and I thank you for putting it on for us to enjoy.

I have another project that I have been working on for a few days. This is my first chance to experiment with the healing brush. It has it's limitations and will take some time to master. I used it in combination with the clone stamp to do much of the restoration in this project.

I would like for you to critique my work so far if you would. Also let me know if you would do more on the backdrop or not and what you would recommend. I have tried a couple of ideas on the backdrop and am having trouble doing anything that looks natural.

Thanks in advance. Attached you should find the original. I will also attach the retouch work in the next message.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elbert-4 600 for web.jpg (98.8 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2002, 10:12 PM

Here is my work on this project. Please let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elbert-4 600 final for web.jpg (85.3 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2002, 10:26 PM

Kevin, looks very good to me! You've replaced the texture of his jacket on the right side (facing the image), but it looks realistic to me. I'm sure some keen-eyed folks will notice something for you to improve, but at the print size posted here, it looks like a job that a client should love.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2002, 10:34 PM

Kevin.
You've done an fantastic job on the clean up and I think you're mastering the healing brush very well.

There is a little trick I found using the healing brush and patch tool. You will notice when you clone near two contrasting shades like the difference between his shirt and jacket? You will wind up with some undesirable results (in this case some of the white in the shirt will bleed onto your jacket area to be cloned) if your clone is taken from a solid part of one of those areas. If you want to get around this try to take your clone source from the edge of the two areas. For instance if I need to repair the lapel next to the shirt, choose the clone source from along that same line equal distance from the white collar. Try that and I think you will work around some of those limitations you mentioned.

As for the background, the only spot that I notice is that dark area by his ear on the right side of the image. It's darker than the area around it but it leaves a light outline by his collar and ear. That's the only thing I would fix. I would lighten that area a bit to lessen that outline a bit. Hope that helps.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2002, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the tip on the clone source. That is a difficult area to work with when you are near a shift in texture or color. When I first tried the healing brush I though I had a magical tool that was the best thing since peanut butter until I got too close to a color shift. Then I realized there was a limitation and it was going to take some practice.

Thanks for the tip on the background. I'll do some more work in that area. I appreciate your comments.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2002, 11:17 PM

I had the same problem with the healing brush when I first got it and didn't like having to switch to the clone tool around the contrasting edges so I guess I experimented a bit and found a way around it. The same thing happens when you try to heal too close to the edge of the picture as well so I do the same trick there as well. It can be a little tricky to do at first but you should still see a big difference. Good luck
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2002, 11:23 PM

Thanks for your comments C.J. and yours as well DJ.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2002, 02:03 AM

Nice work, Kevin. How on earth did he get those colored spots on his pic in the first place, I wonder? Was he a painter? No...more likely his kids were!

I always wonder when I see a picture in bad shape (not that this one is that bad) just how it got that way. Folks can be pretty nonchalant about caring for photos, folding them up in pockets, letting sticky-fingered little kids play handle them, spilling coffee and spaghetti sauce on them, and so on. Then one day a descendant decides that the picture is valuable to them and pay us to restore it. Makes me wonder why folks just don't take better care of family photos in the first place!

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2002, 02:46 AM

Hi Kevin!

I absolutely agree with everybody here...You have done a brilliant job in restoring your picture!

As for the healing tools...after some frustrating experiences, I came to the same conclusions as DJ...sometimes, with the healing Brush, it helps changing the blending to 'replace' which minimizes the colour shift, but doesn't always eliminate it!

...As for the background...DJ posted an incredibly useful tip some time ago.... (thanks again for it DJ! )! Substituting a dull background can make all the difference in enhancing an otherwise 'flat' picture...you might try her tip! I usually keep the colour surrounding the main subject as close as possible to the original as to achieve a smoother blending....

You can find DJ's tip here
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2002, 07:18 AM

I wasnt going to post, as I do not wish to seem nit-picky On his left hand jacket lapel (our right) it seems that the cloning or healing tool has taken the texture out and has left a new texture of clone tracks. Have you tried the patch tool yet? It would seem ideal for the job. Draw a lasso around the scratch with the patch tool and then feather the selection by 1px. It takes a little more work, but can pay dividends.

The rest of the work you have done is great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lapel-patch-tooled.jpg (18.1 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help