RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

help request: where is her hand?

Old 10-10-2002, 09:20 PM

Angry help request: where is her hand?

The attached photo is giving me some real trouble!

Can anyone figure out what is going on with this woman's left hand? Is she perhaps wearing a black glove? How would you handle restoring this?

My initial thought is to try to make this area mostly black and maybe blur it to draw less attention to it.

Other suggestions?

Thanks!
--Leigh Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woman.jpg (83.4 KB, 148 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 09:56 PM

Do you know anything about this woman? Maybe a relative can give you some info. The bend of her elbow doesn't look normal to me and when magnified I see bits of her waistline but nothing to indicate a hand or fore arm. Now I'm making a big leap here but is it possible she doesn't have an arm??? Plus you can see the triangle space just under the arm pit and it gives a hint to what I think my be a missing appendage. That sleeve almost appears to be folded back and tacked. When I first saw it my thought was what's wrong with her arm not where is her hand. It's just an educated guess on my part and not much help for you when you have to deal with something there. You could add a fore arm and hand from somewhere else but I would question the owners of the picture about the woman first.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 10:34 PM

Yes, I might have to resort to asking for more info. However, I'm doing the restoration as a surprise Christmas gift for my boyfriend's mother (the woman pictured is his great grandmother) and I'd hate to ruin the surprise! I might have to workaround it for now, then change it later if I find out some new family info...

--Leigh Anne
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 10:42 PM

DJ is right, the only other thing I can think of is that she has her arm bent across her back - this wouldn't be a normal pose for back then I don't think.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 10:46 PM

Nothing like being caught between a rock and a hard place huh? Perhaps your boyfriend can ask other members of the family for you. You have a good idea to fix it one way and then have a seperate removeable layer for the added arm. Tough call and I don't envy your position. I hope you will share the results of the suprise with us. Curious to find out if there's an arm or not. It sure looks funny though doesn't it?
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 10:48 PM

The hand is behind her back. Try inverting the image; you can see the crease in the sleeve going down and under. The arm disappears behind her back.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2002, 11:13 PM

I agree with Trimoon and Chiquita - it looks like her arm is bent behind her, but whose hand is the little girl holding on to??

It looks like there is a man's hand there - maybe your inquiries will uncover some family drama

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2002, 12:10 AM

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like her arm is in front and she's wearing a glove.
The strongest evidence to support this is a shadow under her left arm that travels down her hip. This shadow appears to go much too far down her hip if her arm was behind her. Try putting your own arm behind your back, as you may guess it is in the picture and look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if the shadow for that arm, even with a poofy sleeve, would appear so low and long.
Now put your arm in front of your body and ask yourself the same thing... can the shadow appear on the hip, considering the lighting in the picture, etc. I believe it could, but not if the arm was behind her.
Furthermore, the thing that may be her hand with the glove at her belly has the right lighting to establish potentially that it is a glove, her hand lightly fisted, back of hand towards sky, and, whatever it is, hand or not, the reflection reinforces the strength of the shadow on her hip if her arm were in front, not behind.
Lastly, in a dignified, formal pose such as this, why would the woman have her hand behind her back?
I could be wrong.
M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg armcopy.jpg (76.8 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2002, 12:45 AM

Hi Leigh Anne...

You might consider some digital surgery and creative cropping to draw attention away from the distraction.

Do get rid of Uncle Fester's big hand around the little girls' waist, while you're at it!

This is a quick hack to give you an idea.

I see you're from Portland... Go Blazers (they whipped Golden State in a preseason game by 24 Wed. night)

- - - - -
Mig:

RE: "In a dignified, formal pose such as this, why would the woman have her hand behind her back?"

To hid the gin and tonic, perhaps?

- - - - -
~DannyR~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg look ma - no arm1.jpg (59.9 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 10-11-2002 at 12:54 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2002, 04:17 AM

I think I agree with DJ about the woman having no forearm. I think Mig's shadow is caused by the sleeve of the dress being tucked into the waistband.

If I step back from the pic and look at it, I can see nothing to guide my eye to a forearm/hand.

Beautiful woman though.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help