RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

My first effort at coloring an old B&W photo

Old 08-18-2001, 01:51 PM

Lilla, The Matte papers are not as heavy or have the same ink absorbtion properties /texture as the watercolor or felt papers. I have found that when printing on them(the felt/watercolor type) I use a medium quality setting as printing at a high res. can result in over saturation and consequent dulling of the image on the paper. For art type prints which simulate painted or sketched subjects the best results will be on the "art papers". Heavy matte paper is excellent for its fade resistance and longevity as well as being a bit more economical. I use the Epson heavyweight Matte ALOT especially for restores I suspect will not be displayed behind glass or in some other protected manner. Hope this helps. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2001, 02:01 PM
Janitor

I'm a big Heavyweight Matte fan
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2001, 02:04 PM

DJ, thank you so much for those words of appreciation.

This is the first photo that I was drawn to add color to. And from the start it was the vivid colors that I visualized.

I'm glad you like it "as is". I'm happy with it "as is" too, although I'm perfectly willing to experiment further.

One thing I'm noticing is that her legs seem a bit dark compared to her face, I'll try lightening her legs a bit.

Lilla
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2001, 02:23 PM

DOUG!!!! THE SMILIE FACE!! IT'S MOVING!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!! tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2001, 02:50 PM

oh lilla,

i really really like it. i like it a lot.

as it was loading, i thought, oh, it's gonna be too bright; but when it arrived - gee, i just really like it.

thanks for sharing it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2001, 03:13 PM

Paulette,

Thank you for the detailed comments. I will experiment with the methods you suggest as I want to learn how to do the realistic renditions that I see submitted in the challenges too.

The soft colors and realistic style you describe sounds quite nice. The result would be stikingly different from my artistic rendition, but I'm quite sure I would like it done your way too.

I wonder if Doug would like to use this photo (or another similar one that I have) for a art/colorize challenge, with the freedom to colorize the photo using a realistic or artistic approach, a watercolor rendition, an oil painting rendition, a pop art rendition, or whatever?

My current skill level is limited to the artistic rendition that I offer here, but I'm learning. The posted examples and feedback in the forums here, and also the artists notes in the challenge submissions are very helpful.

Lilla
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2001, 03:15 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Lilla,

Super job! The only things I would have done differently, is that I would have lightened her right arm a little, and tried to make her skin tones more like his. The only other thing is the tree stump (?). The white space (on the left) makes me wonder what it is, and draws my eye to it. Other than that, I really like the image as is.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2001, 03:35 PM

Dear Lillia,
I totally misunderstood what you were attempting to do with the photo. Didn't realize that you wanted to create an artistic effect. Technically you did an excellent job and the use of the vivid colors gives it an almost contemporary effect. The techniques I had been taught are the traditional ones to colorize a b&w to simulate how it would have looked if it were taken in color. One very interesting thing I learned here is the importance of communication before working on a photo for someone. Find out what they want the finished photo to look like.
Paulette
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2001, 04:28 PM

Ed,

I agree with you, her skin coloring should be more like his and her right arm (and legs) should be lighter. I'll work on that.

About the tree stump? The photo we have is a copy of a copy sort of thing and the detail is hard to make out there. I couldn't decide it was a tree stump or a low hanging clothes line with shorter things like maybe dish towels, or ? hanging on it. So I went in the direction of dish towels and added the white and my eye liked seeing the white over there, but I agree that it does look a bit TOO low to be a clothes line so maybe it's not.

I'm not sure just what that is. Maybe I'll experiment with giving it more definition to be a tree trunk and see how that works, but I'm wondering if it might be something other than a tree trunk, but what?

Thanks for the feedback.
Lilla
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2001, 04:31 PM
Janitor

And that stain/dark area of grass next to his left foot just bugs me
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help