RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

how to make her look good

Old 11-05-2002, 07:13 PM

how to make her look good

I am sending this to you so that I can get some help on how to make a subject look better....i was looking at challenges blue jean/covergirl and i like all the effects but i could not follow the steps...i especially had a hard time on choosing the right brushes for the eyes and colors for the faces...i ended up with a clown look(i will not submit my retouches b/c you would laugh) ..if anyone can guide me through some basic steps i would be thrilled i am very new to this. thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lore 002.jpg (61.4 KB, 126 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2002, 08:02 PM

You can remove the red eye, but otherwise she already looks good. There's not much else you can unless the file size is much, much bigger.

Mig
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2002, 09:26 PM

Hi mpskin,
Let me be the first to tell you...No one on this site laughs at anything posted, especially when asking for advice. You have come to the right place to learn and improve. First of all go to this thread, here in the forums: RetouchPRO Forums > Technique > Restoration, Retouching, and Manipulation > Actions, brushes, swatches, styles, textures etc.
Here you will find numerous actions and color swatches and so on to help you get started.
Then, just wait a day or so. You will be astounded at the number of people who will help you with this picture and any others.
While you wait, look over the challenges and galleries. They will give you loads of ideas about things to do. There's not enough time in a day to absorb everything here.
Don't overlook the tutorials either.
Your picture looks good. A bit pinkish in the highlights on her face though, unless it's just my monitor.
Sit back and enjoy
Debbie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2002, 10:20 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Welcome aboard mpskin. Debbie hit the nail right square on the head. Nobody laughs at others here. We all started at the same place. If you decide to post your efforts, you will likely get suggestions on how you can improve on your work, if it needs improvement (but you might have to ask for suggestions). People post images all the time, and ask how they can be improved. We have a wide range of talent and experience on this site, and there's always someone more than willing to help.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 12:23 AM

Hi Mpskin!

Welcome to RP!

Debbie and Ed described perfectly the spirit of this site!!!...And I couldn't agree more!

I also absolutely agree with Mig on the fact that "..There's not much else you can unless the file size is much, much bigger." ... but I gave it a try anyway:

1) I duplicated Document and Layer (I never work on the original).

2) I corrected the red eye by selecting, very lightly feathering (Radius=0.5) and copying only the pupils from the Green Channel and pasting them on the Red Channel.

3) Following Katrin Eismann tip, I created a Curves Adjustment Layer to match exposure and colour of her face with the rest of the body.

4) On a new empty Layer I used a soft Airbrush (5-10% Opacity), sampling colour from the surrounding area, to fade the 'shiny' spots on her cheek, nose and forehead.

5) I loosely selected the woman and copied the selection on its own Layer (Ctrl+J)

6) I Inverted the selection (Ctrl+Shift+I) and copied this on its own Layer as well.

7) I used the High Pass Filter (Radius=2) to sharpen the woman.

8) I used the Gaussian Blur to lightly blur the background.

9) I added a little Noise to the image.

P.S. If you are not familiar with these procedures and would like a more detailed explanation, don't hesitate to send me a PM or an email....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f-lore b&a.jpg (99.6 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 01:45 AM

Hi mpskin,

Welcome to RetouchPro!! Don't be afraid to post your work here, we won't laugh we all started at the same level you are. one of the best ways to improve your work is to get feedback and work with that, and around here I'm sure you'll get some excellent help.
here's what I did to work on the photo quickly:
1. masked out the background with the eraser tool

2. used the "magic wand" to select the background and put in an black fill.

3. starting with the eyes, I made selections using the lassoo tool and used curves to get rid of the red eye, then made adjusments to lip and teeth color.

4. using the airbrush with opacity between 5 and 10%, and between 1 and 10 pixel brush, I drew in some makeup.

5. I used the clone tool at about 20% opacity and 20 pixel brush, I went over the overly bright parts of the face to tone it down to match the rest.

6. made some final curves and levels adjustments quickly, I'm not very happy with it, it's too dark but I didn't have much time to work on it.

hope this helps you,

- David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lore_dk.jpg (23.7 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 09:48 AM

Unbelievable

You guys are amazing...I am actually at work and cannot wait to try your steps but I will first read the tips on your techniques with brushes... i do have a quick question and this may be a mistake that i am making...the orginal pic which was downloaded was a bigger file...i think 23 x 28 inches...i used that size to try and work on the pic and I chose pixel view....I then selected the airbrush to draw in the makeup at the lower opacity and i think 5 pixel brush but i kept on drawing jagged lines...esp in the lip area and eye....I also have a tendency to get real frustrated with the mouse...i feel like it jumps and doesn't move freely while i am trying to draw the areas in....anyways i will try it again and i also wanted to know what size should be sent in so that it is easier to work on. I have some other pics that i have been working on by trying to follow other steps/techniques....i think i am doing it right but i do not if it is done correctly or if i need more.....i also have a canon s800 printer....my pics definately look different on print then on the monitor....i have read the steps on calibrating my monitor but I think it is still off...if anyone uses that printer(it has the individual ink tanks) and has any suggestions...let me know...customer service at canon cannot give me any good suggestions...Thank you again!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2002, 02:31 PM

Hi mpskin - and welcome to RetouchPRO!

I'm not an expert in the area of applying makeup, but I can offer some suggestions to try. (I did a search for "Photoshop makeup tutorial" in google and didn't find anythng useful. So, it does seem that information about this technique is a bit lacking. )

i think 23 x 28 inches...i used that size to try and work on the pic and I chose pixel view....I then selected the airbrush to draw in the makeup at the lower opacity and i think 5 pixel brush but i kept on drawing jagged lines...esp in the lip area and eye....I also have a tendency to get real frustrated with the mouse...i feel like it jumps and doesn't move freely while i am trying to draw the areas in....

I'm assuming "pixel view" = 100%? If so, I'm not sure why you'd be getting jagged lines. If you are viewing at greater than 100%, then I'd say the jagged lines are pixelation caused by enlarging the image so big that you can see the individual pixels (look like squares), but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

So, I'm wondering whether your mouse is what's causing you problems. Do you have an optical mouse or a standard "ball" mouse? I.e., if you look at the bottom of your mouse, is it flat, or do you see a ball peeking through a hole? If you have the ball, I would try to remove it and clean both the ball and the contacts inside the casing which houses the ball. Every mouse I've ever owned has the ability to remove the ball so that it can be cleaned. A dirty ball/contacts will cause the jumping/jagged motion you're experiencing.

As far as the brush type and size... when applying makeup, I think you want to use the softest brush setting you can. You don't say what version of Photoshop you're using (or even if you're using Photoshop), but in PS7, you can set the softness of your brush in the brushes palette. Or, with the brush tool active, pressing Shift-[ will make the brush softer in 25% increments. (Pressing Shift-] makes the brush edges harder in 25% increments. (I think those shortcut keystrokes are available in previous versions of PS as well.)

In terms of brush size, I usually try to choose a brush that is similar to the size of makeup brushes (relative to the size of the image). So, I think about how big a brush for blush is relative to my cheek - then choose a brush size that is about the same size for the cheek in the picture. (Make sure you've got your painting cursor set to "brush size" in Edit->Preferences.) Same for eye makeup, etc.

A couple of other tips:
  • Paint the makeup on a separate layer. If you paint on the same layer as your image, then it's almost impossible to fix mistakes later on.
  • If you paint on a separate layer, then you can paint in normal mode, but then change the layer blending mode to color and adjust the opacity so that the underlying picture shows through the color you are applying.
  • If a color is not quite right, you can add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to the makeup layer and adjust until you get the color you want.
  • I always put the blush, eye makeup, lip color, etc on separate layers so that I can individually tweak the opacity, hue, saturation, etc.

i also wanted to know what size should be sent in so that it is easier to work on.

You are limited to 100K, but I have found it possible to post a picture that is about 800x600 pixels using the PS "Save to web" feature and finding the highest quality setting that will get me under 100K. (It will show you the size of the file - look at the 4-up tab to see comparisons of different quality settings.) Bigger is easier to work on, but if you have to sacrifice too much quality, that makes it difficult to work on as well. So, you have to play around with the settings to get the right combination. It seems to be different for each picture.

i also have a canon s800 printer....my pics definately look different on print then on the monitor....i have read the steps on calibrating my monitor but I think it is still off...if anyone uses that printer(it has the individual ink tanks) and has any suggestions...let me know...customer service at canon cannot give me any good suggestions...

It sounds like you need a ICC profile for your printer. If Canon hasn't offered one, then either they don't have one for the printer, or customer service doesn't understand color management (entirely possible.) First I would ask them if they have an ICC profile for that printer. If not, I would suggest purchasing something like MonacoEZcolor. I found this for a decent price on eBay (I think it was around $100 when I got it a couple of months ago) and it REALLY helped me match my monitor and printer output! I don't know how to do that without an application like that without having an ICC profile provided by the company. You might want to search Google for "ICC profile Canon s800" - or something like that - to see if you can find one.

Hope this helps,
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help