RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Well, I guess I asked for it

Old 11-10-2002, 10:19 AM

Well, I guess I asked for it

Was wishing I could get a new chalenge and boy did I get one. My son got this image from a friend of his. He wants me to fix the problems and enlarge it. This image was a poor picture when it was taken and age hasn't been kind to it either.

The blown out background shouldn't be too hard to deal with. I can probably replace the upper background area. The very dark skin to me is a real big problem. That's what I have started working on first, and I am not comming up with any good ideas. Should I start Dodging the skin? The woman's legs are the least damaged, but their faces and her arm are terrible.

So, here I am again asking for help. What's the best approach to fixing this mess?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled-2.jpg (88.3 KB, 135 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2002, 10:43 AM

Kevin, you could start with a duplicate layer set on Screen layer blending, then add a layer mask and paint back in some of the highlighted areas that get "blown out". I think this helps with the dark faces and one of her legs and you can help even out the lighting on the man's face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kevin asked 4 it.jpg (49.8 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2002, 11:05 AM

Thanks CJ. I am a little dumb when it comes to layer masks. You make a selection based on color selection and then do exactly what?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2002, 11:08 AM

This is sort of along the same lines as CJ's advice.
Duplicate the layer
Lighten the image in the amount needed to lighten the faces.
Take a snapshot.
"Undo" the lighting step
In your History palette, select the "lightened" snapshot.
Using the history brush (soft edge), paint the areas that are too dark.
Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2002, 11:12 AM

Hi Kevin,
Check this forum link for removing shadows
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...moving+shadows

Debbie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2002, 11:15 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
My first thought was the same as CJ's, and I think it works fine. Here's another technique that might also have some merit. Duplicated the background layer, desaturate, invert. Changed the blending mode to overlay, then ran gaussian blur at 4.0 on the image you posted. If you try it with a higher resolution, you'll have to play with the settings for the blur.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kevin\'s image.jpg (97.9 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Ed_L; 11-12-2002 at 08:57 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2002, 11:53 AM

Kevin, we're not "dumb" when we haven't learned a technique -- we just haven't had the fun of learning it yet

Please ask me more questions if you need after listening to my explanation and taking a look at Doug's tutorial on masking. It's a wonderfully helpful tool once you start getting the hang of it, so now is a great time to start!

I duped the original layer TWICE and set the top layer to "Screen" layer blend. Then I added a layer mask (WHITE - to REVEAL ALL - it shows ALL the effects of the Screening effect ) to THAT layer. Then click on the mask (so that you're not painting directly on the photo layer), choose a paint brush that is small and use 20-30% opacity, choose BLACK to paint on the layer mask where the screening effect has made it too light. If you miss a stroke, don't worry, because all you have to do is switch your colors and paint with WHITE to paint it back in -- the mask just lets YOU control how much of the screen effect you want and where you want it! You can even click on the color pallette and make a gray that lets you lighten/darken at a different rate. Use the paint brush to paint around their hair (where it blew out in highlights, and darken parts of her dress back in -- you can even things out by painting with both white and black in areas to match lighting a bit more. When you're finished and like your result, APPLY the layer mask and merge the top layer with the second layer. This still leaves your original layer untouched, and you can view the difference between the before and after.

Don't worry if it doesn't seem to make sense at first (it certainly took me a while to "get it") -- keep trying and asking and looking at tutorials -- layer masks are a big help once we start learning how to use them. Even if you don't use them for this photo, this is a great time to add them to your toolchest. I've added several other tutorials -- perhaps one or more will fill in some of your questions.

Doug's Tutorial on Layer Masks

Ben Willmore Tip on Layer Masks

Photoshop Guru - layer masks and clipping groups

Russell Brown -- sharpening with layer mask Choose the Sharpening tip -- it uses layer masking, and Russell Brown is good!

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 11-10-2002 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2002, 01:36 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys. I guess I will take CJ's advice too and go through the tutoirals and the other links mentioned. I need to get these tools down pat so I can get better at this. Sorry for being weak on some of these proceedures. I have a good ways to go if I ever hope to make money doing this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2002, 08:31 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBE
I need to get these tools down pat so I can get better at this. Sorry for being weak on some of these proceedures.
Kevin,

I don't have any ambitions to make money doing this, but if it's any consolation, there are tons of techniques I have to learn too. This is the place to do it.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2002, 09:26 PM

Hi Ed, guess I was talking figuratively. I was thinking that if I was doing this for money that I was making about $0.10 per hour ha ha. And you are right, this is the place to do it!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help