Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

When you get lemons........

Old 11-28-2002, 12:16 PM

Have at it. The main problem I ran across was the washout of the highlights on the cheeks and chin. I got a pretty good result with that but still there was alot of data loss so I could never really get the corrected highlights to match the midtones, data wise. Then after all that there was still the problem of the depth of field proximity to the background and the overall composure of the shot. My friend was just playing around and didnt take the shot too seriously so neither did I. Thats when I tried the different route. Using the high contrast to my advantage.

Id be interested to see your techniques to correct this image.

Last edited by TheTexan; 11-28-2002 at 12:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2002, 12:29 AM
Corrected Image

I don't think this picture was that bad to start with. In the red channel the hair/background were muddy, in the blue channel the face, hair and background were muddy, but the green channel looked the best. I converted a copy to LAB mode and adjusted the lightness channel then copied it and pasted it on the original. Also pasted a copy of the green channel, then played around with opacity on those two, then used luminosity mode to blend back in the color.

The color needed some improvement, so I brushed over the face with a fuzzy brush at low opacity set to color mode to warm up the flesh tones. Did a little more tweaking with hue/sat and selective color here and there...can't recall the details. Finally adjusted levels and merged.

Now if you check each channel in RGB mode, all look decent, and the hair stands out from the background. Since the tones are all okay now, color adjustments at this point are easy to make.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tex_girl.jpg (88.2 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top

So, are you going to share the steps you used in the first posting ? I think it is exceptually well done. Been hoping you would share. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2002, 02:23 PM
Location: Greensboro, NC - a new transplant from San Jose, CA
Posts: 11 you want us to beg? Ok....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Share your technique with us.....PULEEEEEEZE?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2002, 09:32 PM
Did anyone else give this a try?

Can see now that I should have burned the face outline and mouth a little more......

Be glad to write up some steps .... It follow that new pencil sketch that Trimoon has showed us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg face-final2.jpg (2.9 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help