RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

My first restore attempt

Old 11-25-2002, 12:23 PM

My first restore attempt

This is my first restore and a rush job as when I saw how the image was comming together I kind of stopped working on it and setteled for what I had.

http://www.jazz-city.net/images/baa.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2002, 12:48 PM

Nicely cleaned up, but here are some suggestions.

1. If you are on Photoshop, run autolevels then fade back a bit. This clears away the flatness of the picture and corrects the fading that occurred over the years.

2. Use selective color under adjustments for red, yellow, and magenta, pushing the sliders till you get a warmer look to the face, which now has an unnatural magenta cast.

3. Use a soft fuzzy brush set to "color" mode at low opacity to brush correct colors into areas missed by selective color, such as his left hand, hair, and face edges. This picture doesn't require much of this, so you could omit this step if in a hurry. But keep it in mind for future projects.

4. Don't know if you cropped before or after working on it, but if it was after, go back and crop it less. Frame openings aren't exactly 5 by 7 etc. but smaller all around, so part of the toe will be hidden under the frame and the bottom is also too close to the edge. Of course they could always use one of those clear plastic frames with no borders.

I did steps 1-3 above and here is the result I got.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baa_edit1.jpg (98.2 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by pstewart; 11-25-2002 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2002, 12:54 PM

Nicely cleaned up, but here are some suggestions.

1. If you are on Photoshop, run autolevels then fade back a bit. This clears away the flatness of the picture and corrects the fading that occurred over the years.

2. Use selective color under adjustments for red, yellow, and magenta, pushing the sliders till you get a warmer look to the face, which now has an annatural magenta cast.

3. Don't know if you cropped before or after working on it, but if it was after, go back and crop it less. Frame openings aren't exactly 5 by 7 etc. but smaller all around, so part of the toe will be hidden under the frame and the bottom is also too close to the edge. Of course they could always use one of those clear plastic frames with no borders.

4. Go through all the entries here at retouchpro.com in the categories of retouching and restoration and get tons of wonderful tips! Lots of knowledge here...sure helped me a lot!

I did steps 1 and 2 above and here is the result I got.

Phyllis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baa_edit1.jpg (3.7 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2002, 01:06 PM

thanks

Did what you said but when I select the brush tool and shoose color and when I start to pain it gives me a green color, what am I soing worng?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help