RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Yellowed B&W

Old 12-04-2002, 02:26 PM

Just checking in with you, Kevin..... How much up to speed are you with that "new Toy?" Xmas came early for you!

Used your pix to practice that new pencil technique, am sending it as a back up But I know you won't need it, do show us when you finish...Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-re-cindy&cheryl-final10.jpg (13.9 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2002, 05:21 PM

Hi Goldcoin, I'm not very up to speed with the Graphire2 yet. I received it yesterday and have used it for some of the final corrections to this pic. I will need much more practice before I will be very productive with it but I can see it's potential.

I have uploaded the latest edited copy of the picture. I want honest comments about what you guys think. The dress isn't quite finished, I am waiting on the Mother-in-law to provide more info on the dresses. She did say that the rim of the collars has a pink border. I don't think that it will be possible to restore that because of the deteration of the detail near the front of the collars. The sides are OK but near the front the border seems to blend in with the rest of the collar.

The background color was arbitrary. I'm not sure if this is the best color but it was my first choice. This project was made much easier with the hair and skin color patches available in Jak's tutorial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cindy&cheryl2 final3 copy.jpg (76.6 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2002, 06:01 PM

Kevin,

I think this is coming along very nicely!! I love the hair on both girls! This is such a great photo!

The face skin tones look a little flat to me - more like they are "wax" than "alive". I tried playing with a Hue/Saturation layer and discovered that I like the skin tones better if I set the Red channel to -9/+33/0 and the Yellow channel to -2/+12/0. (Make sure the dresses aren't selected for that adjustment though - I like that color as it is.)

Also, the blue is fine, but I would tone it down a bit. In the same Hue/Sat adjustment layer I tried -7/-33/0 and liked that a bit more b/c it didn't overpower the girls.

The only other comment is that it appears that the original stain was on the left dress. It still shows through a bit here as the pink looks "dirty" to me over most of the dress. Any chance you could lighten that area just slightly using the dodge tool? (Work on the underlying B&W image, not the color.)

This is a fantastic present!!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2002, 07:30 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Kevin,

You really come around fast! I think Jeanie hit all the right spots. The skintones were the only things that were readily apparent to me. But she is right on all counts. Super work! Congrats!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2002, 08:10 PM

Thanks guys, I agree. Now back to work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2002, 09:26 PM

Well, I didn't have much luck adjusting the hue on the faces. Just didn't hold my mouth right I guess. I did however make a cosmetic addition of slight rosey cheeks. This seems to add some life to the faces. I dodged the bodice as carefully as I could, had to back off several times after overdoing it. I need more time with the dodge tool, it's very touchy and probably as unpredictible as the clone stamp at times.

I toned down the background as you suggested.

I would like to have cleaned the upper portion of the dress some more but didn't get good results with the dodge tool. It seems that there is so little data in some areas that any dodging at all blows it out. So what I ended up doing is just a simple color fill with white.

I hope this is closer to being right than it was a few hours ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cindy&cheryl2 final5 flat copy.jpg (73.9 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2002, 10:06 AM

Kevin,

There's "always more than one way in Photoshop" as our fearless leader has reminded us from time to time, so consider this when the Dodge tool isn't working well.

Duplicate the working layer -- set layer blend mode to Screen

In this case, with your original image submitted above, it would really blow out the highlights and look horrible!

But THEN add a layer mask - set to HIDE ALL - and the image goes back to looking normal. NOW you can paint on the mask with WHITE (use a lower opacity so you can add in just the amount you want) in just those areas that you want to lighten - you can lighten the bodice, add highlights to hair - probably not necessary - their hair is lovely, but just so you know what it can do. Just another wonderful way that PShop lets us make things look like they should!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kevins-wife.jpg (98.5 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2002, 12:40 PM

Lovely picture...must be fun to colorize! Suggestions:

1. Get rid of the gray by the girl's ear...must have missed it in coloring the face.

2. Wife's hair is a bit dark in the shadows and will most likely print black...depending on your printer settings of course.

3. Girl's hair has greenish cast on my monitor.

4. Skin tones look nice with the rosy cheeks added, but faces need some more saturation based on what I see on my screen.

Of course all monitors show things a bit differently and all printers handle colors a bit differently so I'm sure you will work it all out in the printing.

Nice project.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2002, 04:28 PM

Hi Phyllis and CJ, thank you for your input. You guys here at this forum have all been so helpful on this project. I have learned a lot of really useful techniques.

I believe that I am going to start over on this restoration. I should have done all of the restoration and tonal corrections prior to the colorization. I guess I was so eager to tackle this job that I skipped ahead too soon. Besides this will give me more practice and the finished product will be better than what I have now. I wont really have to start completely from scratch as I have saved many different copies along the way. I will just go back prior to the colorization and get all the corrections finished and redo the colorization steps with a much cleaner image.

I will post the new finished product after I finish it. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2002, 05:51 PM

I finally got past the windows problems and was able to resume this project. I think I am almost through with this image. The results were much better when I did all the tonal correctins before starting the colorization. I believe that the bodice area looks more even now, I even colorized the pipeing around the collars. The top of the dresses was hard to get as white as I wanted but it is a lot better than the first attempt. I added a second color fil layer and set it to screen and adjusted the opacity to get a lot more whiteness than with out it.

I like the skin colors mush better but still need more experience when comes to facial makeup.

Let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cindy&cheryl2 e3 color3 flat e3 copy.jpg (76.7 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help