RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Yellowed B&W

Old 12-10-2002, 09:12 PM

Kevin, you've done a really good job! Starting over is hard to bear sometimes, but I've (often) had to do it, and it truly worked well with this image. Adding that piping must have given you some practice with that new tablet! Nice touch!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2002, 09:21 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Kudos Kevin! Nice work. Glad to hear got the Windows problems out of the way too..

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2002, 09:50 PM

Hi CJ & Ed, thanks so much for the kind words. I have a lot of time in this one but I learned a lot that will help me later on. I hate to admit it but I moused the piping. I will spend more time with the tablet later on and I should be able to improve my acuracy with it over the mouse. I did spend some time with the tablet trying some freehand drawing and was surprised at what I could do. I am certainly no artist but the Graphire2 should help me with things like the collar piping.

Ed the Windows problems are postponed until I have time to deal with it. Right now it's stable but I know the problem is lurking in the background waiting to pounce on me again. I think I will be able to get by until the upgrade.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2002, 10:39 PM

Kevin you did a great job but Jenisa is right , but it easly corrected with your own photo. all you have to do is adjust in curves like an s make it lighter in the middle of section line got up on it an adjust there and down below it an adjust it there.

See your photo adjusted that way.

The only thing I would do is the top of your wife hair, clone out the protrusions and you have a winner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cindy&cheryl2 final3 copy.jpg (69.3 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2002, 05:40 AM

This is a really a lovely photo, and you did a wonderful job on the coloring.
My only suggestion would be to add some color to the blouses. Of course this is a personal preference, but it appears to be unfinished because it is still gray, and the rest of the photo has color. Although one would think a white blouse would not need color, most often it does reflect some color (and sometimes reflects colors from surrounding areas). Perhaps a very light and soft cream color, would add just enough color.
Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2002, 06:01 AM

This is a really a lovely photo, and you did a wonderful job on the coloring.
My only suggestion would be to add some color to the blouses. Of course this is a personal preference, but it appears to be unfinished because it is still gray, and the rest of the photo has color. Although one would think a white blouse would not need color, most often it does reflect some color (and sometimes reflects colors from surrounding areas). Perhaps a very light and soft cream color, would add just enough color.
Vikki
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2002, 09:42 PM

Thanks Phili1 and Vikki for your suggestions. I have made additional enhancements. Vikki I was able to brighten the blouses quite a bit more without blowing the detail out. I had thought I was as far as I could go but a simple brightness/contrast adjustment was just what it needed, I get 252 252 252 in the highlights now.

I also cloned the hairline to eliminate the stray wisps of hair and I also cleaned up the dress/bodice junction. I wonder if I will ever get through with this one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2002, 10:35 AM

OK, here is the final draft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cindy&cheryl2 final.jpg (95.5 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2002, 10:48 AM

Hi Kevin. You did a super job. I have a tendebcy to like it a little lighter, so I down loaded it and did a comparison and I like the lighting you picked, it has a softer effect on the eyes and face. Your wife picture kind of reminds me of my wifes at that age. NIce looking family. Again just a great job. I just realized that your sister in law looks like Shirley Temple, an actress among us.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2002, 11:57 AM

Hi Phili1, thanks for your comment. Actually my wife Cindy is the younger of the two. She was a cotton top when she was very young and her hair gradually darkened to match her sisters when in her teens.

I will have to get to printing now. I have worked on several restorations for Christmas presents and haven't printed any of them yet. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help