RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Different lighting

Old 12-18-2002, 08:44 PM

What a great image -- that process they use on cakes is really surprising!

But, will she eat the cake...?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2002, 10:11 PM

Excellent job Sandra!! yeah, I'd be interested to find out what kind of printing process is used to print on the cakes with something that's actually edible!

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2002, 02:21 AM

Nice job Phili, and Sanda your final pic turned out pretty well. All I would suggest is to add some sunlight to the side of her head/face to match the lighting on the other two ladies.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2002, 03:21 AM

My brother decided to keep it for Christmas day. SO I'll have a good chance of getting the photo.

Great job Philli1 I followed your lead and lightened her face.

Good idea Phyllis, I didn't think of that. duh

CJ I can hear her now " I can't cut that and eat it"

David I'll go back to the cake shop and ask about the printing, I'm interested myself. I should have asked when I was there but I had a million things on my mind with christmas shopping and such, I just didn't think of it.

Ed I think she's going to cry when she gets the photo to go with it.

Thanks everybody for your input it's been a great help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2002, 02:12 PM

Well my brother gave the cake to mum but her reaction was a little less than hoped for. She hardly made a comment. except to say that she didn't know where to cut it.
Then I gave her the photo and again her response was dissapointing. She liked the frame looks like the whole idea was a big flop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2002, 04:05 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
That's too bad Sandra. After all the effort on your part to give her something special. As hard as we try to please people, sometimes it a little disappointing. Just part of life I guess.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2002, 07:41 PM

Sandra, your mum sounds like my mom -- she didn't know how to show much pleasure directly. I'll bet you'll hear something later FROM OTHER PEOPLE that she tells about the cake and shows the photo to -- they'll say "how thrilled she was to get it", and you'll be thinking "Now, why couldn't she tell ME that!"

Remember, parents don't want us to get big heads, so they have to measure out the praise in drips and drabs. You did a good job, and you did it for her --- just be proud of your work, and hope you hear something nice about it before NEXT Christmas. Perhaps you'll hear something next year like -- "why didn't you give me another nice family photo?"
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2002, 06:47 PM

Hey Sandra we think it was a fantastic Idea. Moms and Dads can do that to you but CJ is right you will hear from another source.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2002, 02:59 PM

I should have been prepared for her reaction but I wasn't. I should have known she would not see it in the same light as it was intended but that's ok I enjoyed doing it and I learnt a bit about combining different lighting situations, so it's cool. I'm going to send a copy of the photo to the other surviving sister and hopefully she will appreciate it.
Thanks you all for your help and your words of encouragement.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2003, 01:40 AM

I've been wondering what kind of process they used to make the cakes with a photo on and I finally found out! I was at work today and I had to go into the office for a minute and noticed a printer and scanner with the brand name "Bakery Crafts" on it, and I was curious so I looked closer, and realized that this thing must be what they used for the cakes so when I got home I searched for the brand name and came up with this. apparently how it works is the photo gets scanned, then printed on "edible paper" (sounds tasty doesn't it ) with the "edible inks" (something very similar to food coloring I'm sure). I don't know exactly how they attach it to the cake, I'm guessing it has something to do with slapping it on the cake then heating slightly so it'll attach itself to the rest of the icing (it was late so there was nobody to ask about it, I'll see if I can find out any details from one of the bakery workers sometime). anyway, I just found it kind of interesting and I though you all might too.

- David
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help