Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

thumbs up or down ?

Old 12-27-2002, 08:00 PM
Hi Flippit,

First, it's a great picture. I liked what you did with it too, however there's one thing you might want to reconsider, and that's in blurring the picture in a vignette-style. A different approach that works well for most pictures like this is to blur the background in a gradient fashion, from foreground to background. It's easy on the eyes, and it forces the eyes to focus on the important parts.
An easy way to do this is to duplicate the backgound layer and apply a blur to the whole picture, then add a layer mask and run a gradient thru it with the default colours, then touch up the layer mask with the paintbrush.
Since you're new to photoshop you may not know how to do this, but you can get the same results if, after blurring the duplicate layer, you carefully erase around the girls and around the foreground to reveal the layer beneath.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00817copy.jpg (97.1 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2002, 03:18 AM
thumbs up ( in general )

Very nice photo there. There are only two things which detract from the niceness for me :

1) one is the red flower. Its not actually the flower that is the problem I think but the colour - it doesnt match the colours of the composition. Now if it was a yellow flower it might be different especially as it will match the left hand girls outfit.

2) The blurring around the girls - much more evident in the outline of the right hand girls hair - this needs to be much more subtle.

Hope these things help. Exellent work with your first post - lets hope you post many more
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2002, 03:16 PM
Your picture and tech is great. I did a test and everytime my first look is at the girls, so I think the flower is subjective. You can take it out, the photo as is stands on it own. I had a problem with the blur at the bottom it distracted me for some reason, but it frams them. Try it leaving the forgroun semi sharp, not as much blur. I use what I call selective bluring.

Really great job and cute girls.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help