Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Have I kept it natural looking?

Old 12-30-2002, 02:42 AM

hey thanks for the scrutiny

Actually the picture wasnt meant as a picture I was going to use for promo. I was just wondering if it would make it.

Now with all the usefull tips you mentioned I am thinking about reshooting it, and getting some proper studio gear to make a really good job of it.

"1. Since the photo is meant to market the toy, the detail in her hair should be de-emphasized. Also, a soft look will contribute to the ambience of the subject matter."

Good tip, although I original had it like this because the emphasis was on my wife and I liked the look of her newly washed undried hair, but as you say if I was making the toy the focus I need to do something about the hair.

2. Her downward gaze is nice, but it shouldn't be away from the camera. This gives the impression of an averted gaze, rather than welcoming the consumer to this tender moment

Again as above, she was playing with our daughter.

3. The same as above, although your ideas about the bear and her hair are excellent

4. Thanks for pointing that out - I will fix that although calming down the shiny spot on the forehead is quite hard work especially with all the hair in the way.

THANKS! You have really got me keen to get a proper studio kit and reshoot some of this work specifically for the toy!

Oh and did I say thanks

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2002, 11:08 AM
If you're operating on a budget, who isn't, a cheap way to start studio lighting is with slave lights ($40), the holder mount ($25), a cheap stand ($30), and a light meter ($100). It looks like you already have a good camera that allows you to set shutter and apeture speeds.

Every now and then I sell something on ebay. I have two professional studio kits, but I use the slave light setup for these shoots because it's so easy to set up. Move the light closer or farther from the subject to adjust it's strength. You can diffuse the light by taping paper towels, extended by popsicle sticks, to the slave light. (I learned this trick from a lighting expert when I was out of town and had left my soft boxes at home.)

A good place to buy photography doo-dads is at
Porter's . Their online site isn't comprehensive, so order their free catalog.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2002, 05:28 AM
Thumbs down Good job

You did an excellent job regarding the skin tone and softenning the marks around the eyes.

Only one comment came to mind: If you have PhotoShop 7 Try using the healing brush on the the teeth front filling color.

Lovely mum and pose :-)
Happy new year to everyone
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help