RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Have I kept it natural looking?

Old 12-27-2002, 08:36 AM

Question Have I kept it natural looking?

Just did this work on a photo which my wife didnt realise I was taking. She was busy playing with my daughter. What I want to know is have I kept the natural innocent look of the photo.

Hope you like it - I am trying to get some time to put a tutorial together - but I am so busy taking them and retouching photos!!

Before
http://www.kortexchess.com/images/mummybefore.jpg

After
http://www.kortexchess.com/images/mummyafter.jpg

Any feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2002, 10:54 AM

The brush of "Love" was used, you did an excellent job in both......The look you captured with the camera and your talent's used to enhance.

Very well done..... Do hope you share more with us in this coming New Year.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2002, 05:51 AM

Thank very much. I hope I get a few more comments from others. This picture has been submitted to the makers of the toy hoping that they might use it in advertising campaign - any comments welcome on the perceived suitability for this sort of thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2002, 04:06 PM

Peter. If you put a smaller file size we could see the photos in one ahot rather then panning.

I like the copmosition, I think you have caputred the moment. I assume she is a new mom because she is cuddling the animal like one. In the second one you adjsuted the skin and coloration just fine. I cant find a negative comment except the panning.

NIce job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2002, 09:18 PM

Great job on this one Peter. Really nailed it a treat - the cropping is also spot on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2002, 03:33 AM

very nice job Peter. the picture lets one feel the softness of a mum's love as well as the softness of the toy.

please do find time for the tutorial
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2002, 08:30 AM

Smaller Images

Hi All,

Some of you have requested smaller images

http://www.kortexchess.com/images/mummybefore_small.jpg

http://www.kortexchess.com/images/mummyafter1_small.jpg

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2002, 08:37 AM

HI Peter.

I realyy love your composition. You did it in thirds. Most people like to frame dead center.

The redo of color adds to softness, its got it all.

Great job!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2002, 09:23 AM

Thirds?

Ahhhhh so thats what I did

I didnt know what you meant, but I assume it is the cropping to make Emma appear more to the right. I just thought that a close in crop caught the character and mood of the picture much better.

I am not very well trained in the techniques of protraits etc, I just take what I see. Let me know if you know a good course or book which talks about this. I have a LOT to learn and I soak up information like a sponge.......INPUTT NEEED INPUTTT

Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2002, 03:05 AM

Very nice job. The composition of the the picture is good. The curve of her eye and nose directs your eyes to the toy. There is an area for the promo verbage. You gave her skin a lovely, soft feeling and your masking of her hair is top notch.

I always have plenty of design opinions, probably more than you wanted, so disregard once I cross your threshold.

1. Since the photo is meant to market the toy, the detail in her hair should be de-emphasized. Also, a soft look will contribute to the ambience of the subject matter.

2. Her downward gaze is nice, but it shouldn't be away from the camera. This gives the impression of an averted gaze, rather than welcoming the consumer to this tender moment.

3. The bear is much lighter than the hair. This serves to once again keep the hair as a focal point. Additionally, the dark colors are found only in the upper right of the composition. Similar colored visual cues should be in more than one area of a composition to tie it together. If possible, lighten up the hair and add a hint of the bear's coloring. Adding some contrast to the bear might also contribute to a visual flow.

4. Your unsharp-mask picked up some artifacts in her eyelashes, hair, teeth, and on her forehead.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help