RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Hi Everyone!

Old 12-27-2002, 09:09 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Here's a tip that was posted by DJ Dubovsky:

Here's a little tip you might need when using that De-crack action.
The default action is set to clear up light cracks on a dark background, I believe. If you have the oposite case (dark cracks on a light back ground) You will need to open up your action so all the steps are showing in the actions pallete. Look at the last four or five steps to where you see minimum and maximum listed. You will see a check mark in the box on the left of the listed items. The first step (minimum) will be checked but not the other (maximum). To switch setting all you do is uncheck one box and check the other.

OR you could load a second De-crack action and have the opposite box checked and call it De-crack dark scratches.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2002, 09:11 PM

Pierre,

It seems to me that the dust/scratches plus History brush does work to eliminate the cracks.

I do hope that the image that you're working on is much bigger than the copy you showed us, but here's what a few minutes of the history brush technique can do to smooth out the skin, clothing, background, etc. I added some texture to the background after smoothing, and did a bit of hue/saturation adjusting for color just to show how she can be brought back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chall_for_pierre.jpg (26.2 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2002, 10:05 PM

Wow Guys!

I have to go back and try that some more, thank you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2002, 11:07 PM

I tried CJ and did not get the same results in Photo 7, so I tried a system I found by chance.

Sometime the smart blur works to remove small crackes, but yours are large, so I tried the blur tool to smooth out the skin and then followed up with the healing tool and the clone did the rest.
Another alyternative. REmember I did not spend the time you would so small and slow makes it better. I also did a select copy of the old and pasted it to the new face to get more texture to the cloths.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg challenge-dek 3 jpg.jpg (10.6 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2002, 11:26 PM

If you're still having trouble getting the results you see here, it may be because the version you are working on is larger than the one you posted here. I had a photo which has a million little cracks all over it and needed help. When I uploaded the photo here, I had to upload a much smaller version than I was working on. That made it easier to get rid of the cracks because they were smaller as a result.

If you're still needing advice, perhaps you could crop to just the face of the photo. Hopefully that would be under 600 pixels wide, but still large enough for us to see what you're really seeing and perhaps give some other suggestions.

Jeanie

P.S. Yes, lots of people have had difficulty losing their attachments when previewing. It's probably better to simply submit, then use the edit button on the post if you see something you want to change.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2002, 01:00 AM

Phil & Jeanie

Yes, the file I sent up was limited to 100k I was told so yes it is smaller and that's a good point that the cracks are not as noticeable. I am going to crop out the face and re-upload that. I don't have that healing tool in 5.5 so I'm not really familiar with it yet, and I'll follow that suggestion about previewing too Jeanie. Thanks all! What a profitable evening!

Last edited by pierresplace; 08-12-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2002, 06:18 AM

Suggestion . . .a picture with the dimensions of 164 X 190 is really small. You might try sizing your image to a lower resolution in order for others to see the specifics you are mentioning (example, 480 X 600 with a screen resolution of 72 ppi).

I have a 22" monitor with a screen resolution of 1600 X 1200. Your picture looks like a postage stamp.

Just a thought
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2002, 09:57 AM

Ok they say I am crazy because I do not give up till I find a better way.

This one I used the healing tool very small brush and kind of painted the face in.

After I got all the cracks eliminated I smoothed the skin with the blur tool set at 20%.

Then I used Bruces colr set at 255 - 220 -177 reduced opacity to get color.

I colored the lips.

It needs adjustment around the face near the hairline but this will give you an idea.

JUst another way you can attcke it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg justface copy 4 .jpg (42.2 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by phili1; 12-28-2002 at 10:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2002, 04:40 PM

To Looker & Phili

Thanks guys! The size it was at was based on the parameters I received from the moderator, that it be under 100k. At those pixel sizes the resulting "k" is almost a meg, sorry about that. On the retouch Phil, that's great looking and I understand the concept of the blurring etc. I mentioned in my earlier post that I did those things already. I do have one artistic compulsion though in that I remain true to the original image. In my other examples one can see that goal has been achieved. It's just that this one was a real problem. I'm going to re-try the decrack with the other changes. I just am reluctant to "re-color" the image.

PS. I have attached what I've accomplished, but my problem lies in the lighting of the face and getting the high-low lights correct.

Last edited by pierresplace; 08-12-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2002, 05:22 PM

Pierre -- take a look at Jeanie's explanation about using Save for web to resize your images to the 100k limit and still get them big enough for people to see the problem areas. I think it will help in the future.

BTW -- it's an indepth explanation, so get a cup of something before you start reading it... I would also recommend reading her next post or two in the same thread -- she makes some added points.

Resizing/uploading to RPro

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 12-28-2002 at 05:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help