RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

wedding dress

Old 01-01-2003, 07:28 PM

wedding dress

I'm restoring this photo which is pretty straight forward except for one section which is giving me some trouble.
The train on the dress is giving me a lot of trouble. I suspect it's because it's a satain dress and that's the way it photographed, but I would like to improve it'. I've tried maksing the area and using a number of different techniques to try to improve it but so far the solution has eluded me.
. I've attached the un restored version so that you can see it as I first saw it. I've highlighted the area I'm worried about. I would appreciate any suggestions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e1b.jpg (99.8 KB, 104 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 08:48 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Sandra,

If this is the effect you're looking for, it's an easy fix. I worked on the image up to the red line only. It took only a few minutes, at most. I duplicated the layer, set it to screen blending mode, made a layer mask, and filled it with black. Then I painted white with a low setting on the brush, to bring it back closer to the rest of the image.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sandra\'s pic_screen.jpg (82.1 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 09:07 PM

Checked channels, but didn't see any useful difference, so set to grayscale. When I duped the layer, used the Screen blending mode, and then added a layer mask, I think I was able to work at matching the lightness values with a medium opacity brush.

Well, I see that while I was working on my post, Ed beat me to it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gown-train.jpg (99.8 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 09:43 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I was looking over your shoulder CJ. When I saw what you were doing, I didn't waste any time!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 09:51 PM

Thanks Ed and CJ I tried your method Ed and it looks good now. I've never used that before I don't use screen blending much or if all it's just one technique (of many) I've never mastered
I was wondering if I should put the pattern of the dress on the train or just leave it as is.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2003, 10:21 PM

Sandra a simple method which worked was the lasso tool and curves tool, i downloaded it and it blends really good and keeps the satin look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2003, 11:38 AM

Sanda, I think it would be really difficult to get the pattern of the dress on the train, since the fabric is curved and folded. Though it was most certainly there in "real life", I don't see it in the original photo. I think the light has to be just right in order for a pattern like that to show up - and with the satin on the floor, the light wasn't right. To tell you the truth, I didn't even notice the pattern in the dress until you mentioned it, so I don't see it as a big issue if it's not in the train. Then again, I was looking at it with very tired eyes last night!!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2003, 03:23 PM

Thanks Jeanie, you're right it dosen't show up in the original and it looks great now that the shaddow has gone. I'm going to change the bacground as it's doesn't do the bride justice. I love this dress so much I'm tempted to colourize the photo as a "freebie" but I'll only do that if I have the time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2003, 08:14 AM

Between Ed CJ and Jeanie you had everything covered but I down loaded your gown and fooling around with levels the left slider turns the background invisable black the others make the bride pop. It works because her hair is on light side so it doesn't get lost in back ground. Simpler then fooling around with background and cheaper for you.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help