RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Need help removing blotchy stains from B&W photo

Old 08-23-2001, 07:52 PM

You guys are great - such quick feedback!

Debbie, yes my friend was amazed at what I was able to do. (So was I, quite frankly! ;-) I have to admit that I "cheated" a little. I got ahold of the original and "on a whim" rescanned the photo with extremely high saturation. (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...s=&postid=1944) This created a photo that had almost neon yellow stains - but it also created a red channel that was cleaner than if I had scanned with normal saturation. So, I was able to start with that red channel which helped immensely!

Also, someone on the comp.graphics.apps.photoshop newsgroup had suggested that I created an empty layer above the original, turn on "use all layers" in the clone tool, set the layer blending mode to lighten, and then clone into that layer. (I took that a step further and created a similar layer with a darken blending mode.) That really helped with the cleanup work!

Ed, I agree with your assessment. Good eye! Fairly easy to fix, so perhaps I can do that before I burn the CD tonight. ;-)

Thanks, Jeanie

Last edited by jeaniesa; 08-24-2001 at 06:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2001, 08:21 PM

jeanie,

i agree with all - great job. noise seems good idea to me too.

ask your friend if she remembers what she was saying, seemed to have very definite to urgent quality about it. wonder if she knows what became of any of the babies.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2001, 08:48 PM

Thanks, Kathleen.

I don't know that my friend remembers exactly what she was saying, but she is indicating that there is room for two more babies. Definitely an urgent situation as they had to get to the airport before the plane took off. All of the babies in the photo were on their way to the U.S. to be adopted. I don't know if she remembers each one by name, as she had helped "make up" names and birthdates of over a hundred babies the night before. (Required info that would allow babies to leave, but most babies were abandoned, so lots of info had to be made up.) I don't know if all of the babies in this photo made it all the way to the US. Unfortunately, there were some babies who died from heat and/or dehydration before they ever got on the plane. However, the ones who did make it are now adults and they all know which plane the arrived on. There have been a couple of reunions of the adult adoptees in the last year or two and so my friend has been able to reconnect with many of them.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2001, 09:29 PM

Noise added

OK, Ed. Took me longer than I thought, but finally found that the "film grain" filter worked well. Did I make it too dark? (I was having trouble blending it all.) The newest version - http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...s=&postid=1947

I also tried giving the photo a slight tone (rather than just grayscale). I used Pantone 727 along with black in duotone mode. Results are at: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...s=&postid=1948

Thanks, Jeanie

Last edited by jeaniesa; 08-24-2001 at 06:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2001, 10:41 PM

that did the trick jeanie. i'll have to remember that. film grain.

thanks for the story. an awesome thing to have been a part of.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2001, 11:06 PM

VERY NICE JOB. I like the duotone 727 variation the best. You did a most excellent job of restoring and preserving a piece of history which should never be forgotten. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2001, 11:54 PM
Janitor

Most excellent work.

Mind attaching the orig and your final here, in case that webpage eventually disappears and no future visitors will have a clue about what we were discussing? You can even get fancy and edit your original posts to attach it (not required, fancy)

Anything you can do to bring out more definition in her hand gesture? To someone who doesn't know the story it could look a little bit like she's flipping the bird.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2001, 01:18 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
That looks great. That's one you should be proud of for sure.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2001, 05:04 PM

Files attached

Tom, Thanks for the feedback. My friend and I liked the duotone 727 version best as well.

Doug, I worked on the defining the fingers a bit more, but don't know if they'll show up in the smaller version I post here. Interesting that you mentioned that particular part of the picture, because the entire time I worked on it, I couldn't figure out why her finger looked so fat. Duh, it's TWO fingers!! ;-)

I can't seem to attach files when I edit previous posts, so I'll try to upload them here. Looks like I might only be able to attach one file per post. If so, I'll just make a flurry of posts this afternoon.

This first file is the original photo I asked for feedback on.

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babies in van orig.jpg (22.6 KB, 138 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2001, 05:06 PM

The rescan of the original photo which I did at a very high saturation. (Gave me a cleaner red channel to work with.)

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babies in van orig highsat.jpg (24.4 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help