RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Saving Photos from poor lighting,...

Old 01-16-2003, 03:51 PM

No offense taken

Mike, I appreciate your candid honesty. I too try to not take anything from my pictures, and actually, I have done some since that are much better lighted based on what I have been hearing, reading and researching.

Sometimes understanding the concept is just not enough, and I am learning this the hard way. But I am learning and that is what counts.

Again, thanks for your honesty and the technical critique. This is the only way I will get better.

Take care,
NiteOwl
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2003, 12:05 AM

I'm not a photographer, but I like the picture very much. Keep it up. You've said you've been ravaged on other forums... you gotta forget about that cuz the majority of what you read from users on boards or usenet is usually twisted, more often than not. You have a good eye, do your own thing.

Mig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2003, 01:29 AM

Wink Great wisdom Mig,...

Thanks for your opinion and your input on the 'dorks' who seem to think it is okay to trash people rather than photos. I am learning, and it is people like you, my husband, and, Danny Raphael, [super guy, btw] who are teaching me to be more selective of what I actually take to heart.

Your post was such a tweak to my day! I think this girl has something special about her, and I worry about her home life and her situation at present, and I think it shows in her face and her eyes that she is not happy. There is a sadness, and that is what I saw,...not lighting issues, but her eyes.

I think I have found a great place to hang out and learn and grow, and give back if I can. This is truly a special special site, and the people here are very special as well.

I always thought I had an 'eye' for art, and or artistic value, and your reinforcement is a nice end to my day! Thank you again for your candid and honest response. I know my style is a bit harsh and 'different', but golly jeepers, people have been calling me odd and different most of my life....I might as well go with my natural being.

Hope to run across you again,

Take care,
NiteOwl
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2003, 01:36 AM

PS...no black eye....

I had to add here that DJ does not have a black eye, it was just the hard and harsh lighting on my part that made it look that way. She has a bad home life to deal with, but thankfully no physical abuse. She would probably be living with us if that was the case.

Just had to make that known....here is a pic I did of her and my daughter, they were goofing around with the flower rings for candles, and I absolutely loved the look! I just HAD to do something,...this is basically my first 'poster' type of print.

http://www.pbase.com/image/8799986

No black eyes, though. Just had to clear that up!

Thanks again to all of you for being real people with real hearts!

NiteOwl
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2003, 01:41 AM

My two cents... The only thing I think that needs changing is that bit of dark blurred something-or-other down in the lower right. As for the blooming and the dark eye, this is far preferable to having that half of her face in shadow, in my opinion. I like the way the backlight outlines her face, and the patch of light by her ear shouts "hey, there's light in front of me too!" She is bathed in light, and it shows us clearly her less than cheery mood...she can't hide her real feelings here! It all works, and I think it's great.

Phyllis (ex-photographer)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2003, 02:21 AM

Wink Well valued 2 cents worth!

I like your style and your attitude! Wow....someone else who can see what I was going for...thanks so much for your input to this photo....it really means a lot to me,...seriously!

Ex photographer, ? why? I thought those who shot always shot forever and ever amen....just curious.

Thanks for your time to respond, it is well appreciated...

Take care,
Nite Owl
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2003, 12:58 PM

NiteOwl
I am sorry about the comment about the black eye, I did not catch the background on her life. I too have some customers that have a life with those kind of problems, makes for some tough times and bad thoughts about the skills of some parents.
I like the photo of the two girls a lot better. Altho when I first looked at it I got the feeling they had just been caught doing something they were not supposed to be doing! Did you do a series of these and have them change their expressions? Sometimes catching them with a kind of coy little smile (the "look at us, we are cute, don't you wish you were?") or whatever, but not the great big grining smile.
I find that trying to critique someones work on this kind of forum is really hard. I am more of a visual person than a word person so it is hard to really type what I mean. And its not easy for someone to realise the comments are meant for the work, not the person, so I tend to not make too many comments. So I would advise that you listen to all of us, not take it to heart but apply the comments to your work. Then when you are out shooting you can maybe try some of the ideas you have been given if you like.
When I teach photography I always tell my students that the measure of good or bad is the authors opinion. If you like it, it is good. You only have to satisfy yourself, the rest of the world can just go take a leap!!!!
Keep up the good work
Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2003, 01:36 PM

Cool Thanks Mike

I wasnt at all upset by your critique or your impressions. Actually quite happy all the way around.

Catch ya later,
Nite Owl
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2003, 11:51 PM

NiteOwl

To learn lighting - when you are taking photos, or just looking - concentrate on the shadows, we are so used to looking at the light areas that we take our shadows for granted - they are far too special to be taken so lightly

While concetrating on the shadows pay attention to all of the following (and anything else you can think of);
-The shapes and compositional elements the shadows create.
-How dark they are compared to the light areas (Our eyes aren't good at judging brightness but are amazing when making comparisons).
-Why the shadow is there, In the case of your photo light is coming from her ear side and the back and nothing is bright enough or reflecting enough light in that one little area between the eye and the nose. In the case of a person leaning against a tree in the shade the shadow side of the face will be the tree side because it is blocking the reflected light from that side, etc.

And then notice why the highlight is there ... the next time you see a tree in the shade next to a piece of sidewalk thet has sunlight on it notice the glow on the tree from the reflected sunlight...

You are drawn to this emotionally so it makes it hard to be aware of these things when involved in photographing someone you care about - but the better you get at being fully aware the better you will get at finding ways to interprete your subject.

Give yourself permission to step back and just expierience why it looks the way it does, then guess/visualize how you think the scene would look (lighting and composition wise) from different angles without moving to those spots (the side, the back, below, above) then go look and see how close you came and get involved with your subject for a while, then step back and do it again ... I know this sounds difficult and a little esoteric, but no matter where you are at doing this stuff (or attempting to do this stuff) doing these exercises will improve your percentage of successes dramatically.

Have fun, Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 12:50 AM

Great insight,...interesting

Roger,

First I want to thank you for taking the time to type out your advice and information,...that was super.

Secondly, thank you for giving me a new way to look a lighting. I sometimes have a problem with concept...in 9th grade it was Algebra, in networking it was TCP/IP and binary conversions, in photography it is lighting. I can see, read and understand, but unfortunately until the little light bulb in my brain goes off, I really can't grasp it. I am one of those who must understand something inside and out, and know not only why it works but the nuts and bolts to how it works.

I am glad to see this new twist on looking at my lighting issues. I do truly want to learn and excell. I can look at a photo and tell you pretty much what is wrong with it and why based on lighting issues,...but taking them...a whole nother story!

I have printed your message, I hope that is okay. I wish to go over it and really apply it to my photography. Again, thank you for your information, knowledge and time to send this.

Take care,
Nite Owl
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help