RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Saving Photos from poor lighting,...

Old 01-18-2003, 01:05 AM

You are very welcome! Print away - play away ... light is something I am passionate about and I love to share it ... so it is a real thrill for me when I can, Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 01:11 AM

Cool Cool! You wont be dissappointed...

If anything at all I am a willing student! I was just quoted as being one "stubborn strong willed woman", imagine that! As I said I can see it, I just can't yet reproduce it,...however, you will not be dissappointed. In the future your advice and that of others will pay off, mark my words,...the lightbulb will come on, sooner or later, and then....BINGO...I will get it.

You are a great guy, and have great advice and insight,...thanks again,..

Catch you soon,
NiteOwl
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 01:48 AM

Re: Well valued 2 cents worth!

Quote:
Originally posted by NiteOwl
I like your style and your attitude! Wow....someone else who can see what I was going for...thanks so much for your input to this photo....it really means a lot to me,...seriously!

Ex photographer, ? why? I thought those who shot always shot forever and ever amen....just curious.
Well, "ex" as in no longer doing weddings and reunions "professionally"...translated "for money." When the video camera became popular years ago, wedding albums became less important to folks, and I had grown pretty tired of it anyway. I still love to take photos, of course, but right now my dear old (first year edition) Maxxum is not working properly...thanks for reminding me to take it in for cleaning/repair. My goal is to get something like the Nikon 5700 digital so I can do away with film and processing forever...wheeee. But I'm waiting for better resolution, bigger disks to hold more pics, and a lower price. Should be about two years I'm guessing.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 02:09 AM

I understand completely!

I got my camera after using a Sony Mavica 2.0 for a year for work. Dissappointing when trying to print anything. The camera I purchased is a Sony Cyber shot 3.3 mgpixel....it does okay for an 8 x 10 print if necessary,...but gosh, I am already dreaming of the Nikon, same camera as you want actually! That is my dream baby!

I have always had an artistic side to me, and loved charcoals, sketching, drawing, did some oil painting, and water colors,...computers really got me geeked. But eventually I managed to make my goals and climb the ladder only to find it a bit boring...

With photography I am in 7th heaven. Not only can I take pictures and create my own art,...but I can then play with them on the PC and do even more! I love it! I did a pretty mean sketch and charcoal years ago, and if I can apply that type of skill to photos...whoa!!!!

I have heard that 'weddings' are a pain and a lot of work...and I am finding that portraits are a bit 'limited' for me...lighting, and standards, and expectations,...maybe more than I wish to deal with...we will see.

Thank you for filling me in...I think I will be taking pictures for years to come....I did point and shoot and got into 'crapping' for a while, but became bored with the limitations...and the major cost of film and developing, and was also unsatisfied with the photos from a simple camera.

Lets hope this one is the right thing for me....I think so, I love the versitility and options and my word,...one can go crazy with the software...

Thanks for responding,...look forward to hearing again and seeing your work...
Nite Owl
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 06:36 PM

A couple of additional tricks that will help you to see the light;

Make your hand into a soft fist and look at your subject through the tunnel your hand creates. This way, your pupils are not shutting down due to brighter lights and you will really see the light that is there. Do this at something that is in deep shadow to really enjoy it.

Go into a dark room with a flashlight, a piece of kleenex and a small object like a light bulb. Set the light bulb down, shine the flashlight on it, hold up the kleenex between the flashlight and the lightbulb, notice that you have a reflection of the light source in the center, call it the highlight, then you have the secondary light that falls outside the highlight, it gets darker as it wraps around the bulb. Vary all the distances, flashlight to kleenex, kleenex to bulb, flashlight and kleenex to bulb and watch:
-The size of the highlight changes, notice how the shape of the highlight is the same as the shape of the light source.
-The contrast between the highlight and the secondary light changes.
-The amount the secondary light wraps around the bulb changes.

Take a person outside to the shadow side of a tree with heavy foliage on a sunny day. Stand them facing away from the tree at the edge of the overhang of branches. Watch the dark circles under their eyes appear and dissappear as you have the person take a step backwards and forwards. It is the light that the subject sees from their point of view that determines the lighting.

This should plant the seeds! Have fun, Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 07:19 PM

Cool The 'lightbulb' in the brain is starting to glow!

Roger, thanks for the lesson on lighting! Wow, no one has said anything at like this to me or bothered to put it into a truly physical way. I am already hunting for a flashlight!

I have printed your words of wisdom so that I can ponder over them in more depths, I hope that is okay.

Again, thank you so much. I think I am beginning to see this in a very different way, although a way which will only improve my work.

Catch ya later,
Nite Owl
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help