RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

'Replace Color' Question???

Old 01-27-2003, 07:42 AM

'Replace Color' Question???

i've been playing around with one of my acryllic paintings(can you tell which is the real one????), and have been experimenting with
'Image/Adjustments/Replace Colors' technique.......

as simple as this picture looks, i had a tought time with it...

in process i could only alter a color thru hue/saturation sliders, which dosn't give me the exact colors i want, and it seems that this was only based on what my foreground color is....

how do i go about getting the exact color i desire, and what use are the eyedropper+/- symbols for???

tia

Heres a link to my picture

cheers
heathrowe
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2003, 07:47 AM

The eye dropper +/- tools are for adding another colour to your colour area. say you have an image which is green blue and yellow and you want to select the blue and the green - then you would use the plus

hope this helps
clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2003, 10:22 AM

tnx clare for the reply,and for the tip

been playing with your suggestion.....

and it seems that im only allowed to do a single 'Replace Color'
action at a time (meaning do it, save it, then do another color, repeat action)

am i correct on that??

tia
heathrowe
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2003, 10:45 AM

You might find it easier to use the select colour range. (Select - colour range) This way you can also set a feather effect on the selection and have the other selection controls such as expand contract etc.

When you open the colour range you will need to click on the image button at the bottom of the preview. Then click on the colour of your choice and use the +/- eyedropper to add and remove colours from your choice. You can preview this with the selection button under the image. Once you are happy click okay and the selection will be made. Then use which ever method you are happiest with to edit the colours. If the selection is back to front i.e you wanted the background but it has selected the foreground use the select inverse (shift+ctrl+I) and you will have the other part of the image.

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2003, 11:39 AM

tnx again clare
another new feature learned today
thanks a lot

cheers heathrowe
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2003, 06:16 PM

Talking

Unless you create it that way, images in Photoshop seldom have just one color in an area. Zoom it at max magnification on what seems to be a solid color and you will most likely see several shadings of that color. I haven't tried this, but shift/clicking with the eyedropper may select more than one color...it works that way in other areas. There is also a way to specify how much of an area the eyedropper tool "reads" when you click with it, if that will help any.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2003, 01:54 AM

General thoughts, as there are many ways to go and often you have to combine techniques...

* A curves/levels adjustment layer set to colour blend mode can have the endpoints reversed in the master channel, white to black and black to white...this will inverse all the colour in the image, reds to cyan etc. This is the same as going into LAB and swapping the AB curve white/black point positions. Sounds crazy, but sometimes going to the opposite colour makes the required change easier - depending in the situation.

* The selective colour command is a fave of mine, but it is fairly limited depending on the original colour components.

* Channel mixer is a good one, but you often need a good selection or mask, but perhaps not when done right...try colour blend mode again, so tone is not altered.

* Image/adjust/hue and saturation is great! Forget the master colours, go to the rough hue that you want to change and use the eyedroppers and sliders to pick the exact hue ranges!!! Again colour blend mode in the adjustment layer is ideal.

* You can also cleanup by clone stamping colour only in colour blend mode, either in a layer or the tool.

By doing edits in adjustment layers set to colour blend mode, this task is a lot easier. Once the hue is changed, then lightness can be addressed if required.

You may have to make a very quick pen selection around each of the picture frames and or include the reflection so it changes colour too...please see very very quick examples attached below, more detail can be put in if needed on the explanation.

Stephen Marsh.
Attached Images
File Type: gif huechanges.gif (93.4 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2003, 02:10 AM

For simple graphics, you can also convert a RGB file that has 256 or less discreet individual colours down to a GIF without loosing any data...then it is a simple matter to select one of the existing colours in the colour table and edit that colour or range of colours.

No selections etc, the colour table is the selection!

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2003, 07:27 AM

tnx peeps for the amazing indepth suggestions

cheers
heathrowe
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help