RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Flat B&W Image: making progress, but.............

Old 08-09-2005, 12:28 AM

jenjen,

i can answer some of that for you. 'hide all' is when you mask everything to NOT SHOW, or, all black. 'show all' is the opposite, where the mask is all white to show everything beneath.

a luminosity mask is one made from the luminosity of a selected image. there is a setting for this, along with opacity (for making a mask from the opacity settings in the image) and i think one other type. the selected image doesnt have to be the image you're working on.

in paint shop pro, you are given the choice to create a mask in 'hide all', 'show all', or 'from image'. the luminosity choice is made in the from image choice.

i'm not sure about her overlay adjustment layer since she doesnt specify what type of adjustment layer, or if she means a new raster layer set to overlay. in psp you cant make an adjustment layer without it being some type of adjustment layer, like curves or levels or one of the others. so, not sure what she means with this one.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2005, 10:09 AM

Thanks Craig! I'm so confused. I think i need a break from here. One question though. Why have a mask if your going to hide all of it? dumb question?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2005, 12:50 PM

jen,

i can only guess that she was masking around the skin and not the skin itself. the hide all mask would keep the other areas from being affected by her painting of the skin. but, flora knows lots of tricks, so i may be off there.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2005, 03:20 PM

Hi Jennifer,

What she did was create a new layer, set the blend mode to Overlay. Now, if you paint in that layer with a soft white brush (set brush opacity to about 10%) the image below will lighten, similarly if you paint with a black brush the image below will darken. Its a sort of dodge and burn, but usually gives better results.

Not an "Adjustment layer" as such, but a layer being used for adjustment.

Instead of Overlay, you can set the blend mode of the layer to Soft Light for slightly softer effect, or Hard Light to give slightly harsher effect.

Hope this explains things.

Gary.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2005, 03:41 PM

Gary,

Wow thanks i didn't know that! i'm so into doing everyone elses techniques that i never really explore and try new things. Thanks again, I'll try that later.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2005, 03:08 AM

You're welcome. Glad I could help a little.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help