RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Need help with scanned photo

Old 04-17-2003, 03:13 PM

I'm sure there will be some better ones, but here's one version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg justice_mom2.jpg (46.7 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2003, 11:39 PM

With a bit more time, my second try:

I used Image Calculations on the Red channel to multiply it and then pasted it above a dupe of the original layer with a Luminosity blend mode. Adjusted the opacity to taste and got rid of some of the color problems. I tried a number of Calculation variations on LAB and CMYK dupe copies with some limited success, but nothing better than this yet. Tried Selective Color, Color Balance, Levels and Curves, again with varying degrees of success -- nothing great. Decided to paint and select/copy to another layer and use Blending modes to bring out some of the detail of the party decorations (I guess those are balloons and strings of stars, etc.)

Diddle, you said that this photo is the only one that did NOT turn out well, so I hope this means that you and your daughter have some good photos of this adorable little cutie.

Hopefully, you'll get some other renditions here also.

Ken, going grayscale is certainly a good choice with this photo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg justice_cj2try.jpg (99.6 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2003, 12:32 AM

Talking

So far, they are all great !! I can at least see their faces !! And, I didn't even realize that there were balloons in the background !! LOL
Yes, we do have lots of other photo's, but this one was more special because of it being one of Hailey (my daughter) and Justice, just the two of them (because Hailey was usually the one who was always taking the pictures). And it was taken just a couple of months before she died from injuries substained in a car accident, with her real mother. She was a very adorable and bright child and we miss her dearly......
Anyway, Thanks to everyone for their help (so far). I'm anxious to see more !!
Thanks,
Diddle
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2003, 01:47 AM

Diddle, I have to say that this was an incredibly difficult photo to work with (at least for me). I tried to work with the color that was in the photo, but both the green and blue channels were just full of noise it seemed. I tried all sorts of channel replacements in all of the color modes (RGB, CMYK, Lab), but to no avail. So, I did as I usually do in these cases and used the one "good" channel (red), which made the image grayscale. Then ran that through Neat Image to get rid of some of the noise, brought it back into PS and used Katrin Eisman's fill-flash technique along with some further curves adjustments.

Once I had the B&W image where I wanted it, I worked on colorizing the image. I hope I got the hair coloring close to real-life - I was just guessing. After colorizing Hailey & Justice, I wasn't sure what colors should be in the background (plus it's late and I'm tired ), so I just made it sepia tone. I made Hailey's shirt pink because the photo appeared very monotone without it. (I'm guessing she was actually wearing white, but it's difficult to tell for sure.) It would be possible to colorize everything in the background, but I kind of like it the way it is now b/c I think it puts the focus on Hailey and Justice.

Anyway, I hope you like it. I think (hope!) I'm posting the full-size version. Let me know if you'd like me to e-mail you a higher JPEG quality version.

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg justice3-jsa.jpg (97.6 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2003, 07:27 AM

Hi Diddle and everybody!

...as for everybody , the colour was definitely the biggest problem for me as well .... so, after changing to CMYK, I worked on the Cyan Channel.
I enhanced it using practically everything I could: contrast, blur, sharpening ... etc., and, like Jeanie....
Quote:
Once I had the B&W image where I wanted it...
I copied the original picture on top of it, blurred it, increased the Saturation and changed the blending to Color as to get back some of the original colour which turned out quite flat.

So... after selecting it, I blurred and slightly desaturated the background and then I lightly colorized Hailey and Justice to make them stand out more.

I created an Overlay Adjustment Layer and, using a soft brush, (either black or white), I selectively enhanced parts of the picture.

I slightly sharpened Hailey and Justice and made a soft Vignette as to fade the background even more and to give the image a softer look.

Unfortunately I worked on the small sized picture because yesterday ..... (I'll blame it on the gremlins... ...), I wasn't able to download the large sized one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fjustice.jpg (98.9 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Flora; 04-18-2003 at 09:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2003, 08:55 AM

Flora and Jeanie, truly remarkable work. Thanks for the tips.
Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2003, 08:50 PM

Hi Bill!

...Thanks for your comment and Happy Easter!.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2003, 09:57 PM

Thank you so much for your kind words Bill!

Flora, yours is beautiful as always. I'm amazed at how similar ours turned out - I must be learning some things from you!

I have one question though... What is an "Overlay Adjustment Layer"? Is that an adjustment layer in overlay blending mode? If so, what kind of adjustment layer?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2003, 10:23 PM

I would just like to say how wonderful all of these image adjustments are. I took a quick swipe at it and came *nowhere* close to what you all got. Great work!

Jeaniesa and FLora, though...wow! Those are both truly awesome rescues of that photo!!!! I am just reeling with appreciation of what you can do.

And Diddle, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss your family has experienced. Children are a precious gift, no matter how they come into your life, and it hurts even more when they're taken so abruptly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2003, 12:14 AM

Thumbs down To Jeanie & Flora

I am totally amazed at your work !! Both of you did an outstanding job on this photo !! I just can't hardly believe how great they both look !! I can't imagine how much time was spent working on this photo. My daughter is going to be so pleased !! Jeanie, you were real close with the hair color. If I can figure out how to send a smaller photo (a good one), I will post one so that you all can see how close you were with details, hair color, etc.....

I am really grateful to all who have spent their time, working with the photo. You don't know how much this means to me.......
Diddle
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help