RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Need help with scanned photo

Old 04-19-2003, 03:10 AM

Jeanie, Amanda, Diddle

Thank you so much for your kind words...and Jeanie...I 've learnt a lot from your constant beautiful work....

Jeanie

As for the 'Overlay Adjustment Layer', it is exactly what you described: an empty Adjustment Layer in Overlay blending Mode on which I selectively paint either black to darken or white to lighten parts of the image below....the intensity of the results are determined by the Opacity of the Brush or of the whole Layer.

A very Happy Easter for you all and your families.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2003, 09:04 AM

Overlay adjustment layer!! I learn something new every day.

These are some remarkable restorations. I'm afraid my attempt isn't worth posting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2003, 11:18 AM

Flora, So is the Overlay Adjustment Layer like another way to do dodging and burning? I've been trying it out to see what it does (since this is a new technique for me) and it seems like it doesn't matter what kind of adjustment (levels, curves, color balance, etc.) it is, they all have the same "effect" when set to Overlay mode. The problem is, I can't quite tell what the effect is! It seems to darken and increase saturation over the entire photo - and painting with black on the layer mask removes any effect, while various shades of gray control the intensity of it. I can't find any "documentation" about this though, so aside from using it as another way to dodging and burning (actually, more like just burning), I'm not sure if I'm missing something. (Sorry, I'm an info junkie. )

Diddle, I'm so glad you liked the versions that Flora and I did! If you want to send me another photo with the correct colors, you can e-mail it to me. I prefer not to post my e-mail directly in a post because I've found it attracts spam. I tried to send you both a Private Message and e-mail, but it looks like you've got both of those features disabled here. So, you can send me an e-mail by clicking on the "profile" button beneath any of my posts and then clicking the link that says "Click here to email jeaniesa". You won't be able to attach a file to that message, but then I'll be able to send you an e-mail with my "real" address.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2003, 01:58 PM

Gary

Thank you so much for your kind comment....and here is the correction to what I wrote on my previous post...

Jeanie

...so sorry to get you confused with my mistake.....

When I wrote Overlay Adjustment Layer or again ..empty Adjustment Layer, I should have left the word Adjustment completely out.... .... because what I use is a simple new empty Layer in Overlay blending mode ..... I find it works much better than Color 'Dodge or Burn' for the following reasons:

1) Being on their own Layer, all corrections can be erased or faded (changing Layer Opacity)...which can't be done with 'Burning or Dodging'

2) Working on an empty Layer the file size doesn't increase as much as having to work on duplicate Layers...

3) I don't use it only to darken or lighten (black or white brush), but also to increase or decrease colour depth or, sometimes, even to lightly colorize an otherwise flat part of the image, by sampling and using the sampled colour brush.

Since learning this technique, I very seldomly use either Color Dodge or Burn anymore since I found the usage of these Tools unsatisfactory and sometimes it leads to loss of precious details....

.....attached is an example.... hope size and compression let you notice the difference....

......from one "info junkie" to another ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg example.jpg (99.2 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Flora; 04-19-2003 at 02:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2003, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the explanation Flora....
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2003, 09:36 PM

Wonderful work!

I like yours better in terms of being pretty - but I thought I would throw mine in the pot for a diofferent take and technique.

I am thinking that if this had been photographed with grainy 35mm film on purpose it would be loved for artsy and feeling, so I made it b&w and kept the grain to the minimum with no grain removal roughly as follows;

Duplicated image, changed to LAB mode

returned to original image, created two new layers, to the first i used apply image to insert the LAB a channel, to the second the LAB b channel, set both layers to overlay mode, then i think it was to light and i used apply image on a new layer to insert the cumulative affect of the layers and set it to multiply (i played with it a couple of different ways). Then used the green layer from this to make the black & white.

Had fun, Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg justice_lg_final.jpg (43.4 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2003, 11:53 PM

I like it Roger - I think it still has a "soft" feel to it, which really works for this image. I definitely need to study "apply image" - I've seen it used a few times now and I think it's time for me to learn the technique!!

Flora, Thanks for the clarification. I've been using that method for dodging/burning for a while now - for all of the reasons you mention. You just confused me with the term "adjustment." Don't worry - you're forgiven!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2003, 12:40 AM

Talking

Roger,
I love this version also !! I'm sure my daughter will too, because so far, she LOVES all of them !! I will e-mail her your version as soon as I get finished with this post.
Thank you so much for working on it and I'm glad that you had fun doing it. You all have done an excellent job, I'm totally amazed at each person's work !! Everyone has their own style.....

Jeanie, my daughter loved your version, just the way it is, and doesn't want anything changed (hair color, etc.). She was very impressed with all of them and a little surprised that anything could have been done to improve the image as much as you all improved it.

Flora, she liked how you had the before and after, and just can't hardly believe how great it looked !!

She wanted me to "Thank" each and every one of you for helping us out with this and your time spent doing it. She was so excited and anxious to show her hubby (Justice's daddy). I know he will love them also !!

Thanks again to all and not to forget, Gary, for re-sizing and posting the image.

Diddle
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2003, 12:29 AM

Diddle,

I'm so happy to hear that your daughter likes all of the different versions. It is always interesting to see how everyone works on a photo differently and often with different goals in mind for the end result - even though the same basic techniques are often applied.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2003, 06:58 PM

Diddle,
I was very sorry to read about your loss..She is a beautiful little girl.

All of the restorations are really excellent..I have been doing photoart at this site for quite a while.. I took a try at your photo and came out with a stippled image..Its not great but I thought I would let you see it.

Flora..thanks for the really interesting tip for dodge and burn..You are so talented..

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg justice.jpg (98.9 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help