Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Critique Requested

Old 04-23-2003, 02:45 PM
Thank you all so much for your responses. When your out here in the boonies working all alone it is hard to really "SEE" when you've looked at something for 6 hours.

I do own a copy of the book by Katrin Eismann.

I was not aware of the highlighting technique and I am so happy that you not only critque my work, but also give step by step, very clear instructions on what to do differently.

I knew something was wrong, but I could not quite figure it out, now I can "SEE" what your saying and your work is fabulous. I thought I had done the best I could do and delivered the proof to the client. I guess their eyes are not as critical as ours, so we see more than your regular snap shooter sees.

I have difficulty in solving some of these problems. Next time, I know where I can ask for assistance. Thank you again for your wonderful web site and such prompt responses.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Hi Kathleen, everybody!

...welcome to RP! And let me say that I agree with everybody here on the fact that you did a really nice job!

I think your 'selection' of the subject is superb: clean, not too soft and not too sharp either.

As for everybody else, contrast, face shadow, size, and position, were what made me pick her out immediately...., what I did here was a loose selection around the lady after which I copied and pasted her in her new place (third from the left on the top row). ....(this new position helps also a bit in hiding
...the fact that she's wearing a jacket on a sunny warm day....
.... as Scott has pointed out).

After adjusting hair and face shadows with an Overlay Layer, (got it right this time...Jeanie... ), I toned her down to match the rest of the picture, by decreasing contrast.

After merging down, I slightly sharpened the whole picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f2003-04-12-008.jpg (98.4 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2003, 09:32 PM
I still think she is a little smaller than other adults in the photo -- compare size of their heads...

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2003, 11:14 PM
Hello kstein,

First off, I am an expert at this kind of thing.
You did a nice job overall. Others have already pointed out some minor flaws, but some of them, such as size of person, in your case, can be forgiven. You did a good job with that.

Speaking digitally, one of the best and simplest ways to see the flaws of fakes (or uncover a fake) is to bring up the contrast/brightness dialogue box and play with the sliders. It's about the only useful thing I can think of for this tool. And if you do this with your original faked pic you'll see immediately see your mistakes.

Contrast is a problem here. She's more contrasty than the others.

Another problem, more minor, is in hue/sat. If you bring up the Info pallette and run your cursor over the people, their faces, etc, and read the measurements in the info pallette you'll see subtle differences.

You'll have problems making this a real good fake, but it can be passable if you read over the explanation I wrote in the fake for the HEADS challenge. I can't recall where it is on the site, but if you look under the challenges you'll eventually find it.
For this picture the procedure would be to make a loose selection around the woman, then go into each channel one at a time and use the curves tool. Manipulate the curve until what you see in the grayscale channel for red, green and blue (rgb) matches the other people or things in that channel. Go from channel to channel until you've done all three (in rgb), then return to the layer. You may have to make some minor changes in hue/sat at this point.

When you're done, you need to do a levels or curves adjustment to fix everything else in the picture in one big swoop. That was something you neglected to do that no one mentioned.
All in all a good job though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2003-04-12-008copy.jpg (82.2 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2003, 03:26 PM
Hi Scott, Mig!

....I see what you mean .... actually I played a lot with the size since the new position was close to a man, whom I took to be taller, and above a very strong-built girl, whom I took to be bigger ... but, now that you've pointed it out, I see it as well ..... I'll retry it .... Thank you for your comment!

..good job! .... and thank you so much for your great tip about working on the single channels to match contrast! I'd never thought of that....
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2003, 07:07 PM
Hi Kathleen..

Should have said something to you in my first post..

"Welcome" and you did a fine job with your pix.

Tried to lower the shadow on her face and soften the color of her jacket.... Played with curves, to see if I could reduce the shadows on all of their faces.

this is the result......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goldcoin-retry3.jpg (57.3 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help