RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Critique AKJ

Old 08-31-2001, 11:10 PM

In regards to the wedding photo--I've checked the mask and there are no holes to speak of. I turned off the drop shadow and this doesn't have any effect on the bottom of the dress. It's still green. Any other ideas?

Amanda
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2001, 12:09 AM

Hi akj,

Unfortunately you need to start from scratch but the fix is quite easy. If you know how to use adjustment layers, use those, but if you don't, then just bring up the Levels dialogue box and look for the three eyedroppers. Choose the middle one by clicking it, and then take the eye dropper with your mouse over to the picture and click this eyedropper onto a very dark spot in the picture, in this case you'd click the rug. Without leaving Levels yet, return to the Levels dialogue box and click on the eyedropper to the right (the 3rd one), then take it and click onto a very bright spot in your picture. In this case, click the eyedropper on your dress. You'll see an instant change. Click ok in the Levels dialogue box, you're done with it.
You should learn this method and use it on all your scans - trust me, I do this all day.

To fix the slight green colour cast that still remains, go to Select>Color Range and click on the eyedropper in this dialogue box and click onto the picture where you want to make a selection, in this case ideally click just beside your left ear, on the bridal thing.
Still in Colour Range, you'll see a Fuzziness slider in the dialogue box, move the slider to about center and click ok.
Feather this selection by several pixels, say 5.
You've now selected the portion of the picture that has unwanted colour. It's oversaturated and unattractive and shouldn't be there, so remove it by bringing up the Hue/Saturation dialogue box and move the Saturation slider to the left, to about -80 or so. (There are other ways to make this selection but this way is fast and fairly accurate.)

In the sample pic I'm trying to post, I also made a quick selection of the mirror with the polyhoweveryouspell that, then went thru the same hue/sat thing.

It's still not perfect but you'll get the idea. You want to make as few moves as you can when colour correcting - it should be as quick and global as you can make it, without too many complicated selections - the more you do, and the more you degrade the picture till it's mush. It's a long explanation but I'm hoping others will read this too and learn the technique, at least with the Levels box. People don't seem to know about this trick and it will do in two minutes what most people fumble over for two hours.

Good Luck!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg happyday1copy.jpg (32.4 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2001, 05:36 PM

Wow Mig--thanks for the great post! I used Levels to originally correct the color cast in the image. I usually first go to Image--Adjust--Threshold, and then use the slider to find the darkest and lightest portions of the image (I'm bad at guessing where they are ) Using the eyedropper tool, I hold Shift (not sure what that is for Mac) and click on the dark and light areas. I then Cancel out of threshold. Then I go to Levels and use these same points to mark the highlight and shadow points.

I've haven't done much with color range so I will definitely give that a try--sounds (and looks) like it's just what I need. I will surely post the results if it comes out good!

Thanks again

Amanda
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2001, 01:37 AM

OK, I tried the color range thingy as Mig described and it seemed to do a real good job of getting rid of the green on my veil. Thanks Mig! Luckily I didn't have to start over after all. I had less luck with the bottom of the dress. I could only come up with something that basically looked like a grayscale version of the bottom of the dress so I just left that part as is. (didn't want to tinker with too many things).

Also added a drop shadow to the bottom of my Mom (thanks T Paul). This helped a bit--she still seems to be floating there though--maybe I should work on adding more of a shadow to the rest of her?

Anyway,

Here is an updated version.

Thanks all for your help.

Amanda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg happyday2.jpg (59.5 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2001, 02:26 AM
Janitor

Your mom is physically a little bit behind you in your original, but supposedly side-by-side in the new version, which is what's causing the 'floating mother' effect

It should be easy enough to cut her out and skootch her down a bit. Nice clean line where she meets your dress.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2001, 12:01 PM

The fix looks better, akj
I have to agree with Doug about the floating mother...
http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/St....html#Solution

It's important to keep in mind, though, that when you work on a picture, everything you do to tears it down little by little, even if it looks better - eventually there is a point of no return. That's why I suggested starting over.
The threshold method you described is really the right way to go. That would be a good tutorial for the site; it's not too well known.
Nice job
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2001, 04:06 PM

Thanks Doug and Mig--will have to give that a try. You also had a good point about starting over Mig--I never thought of that. I just thought about the extra work involved--didn't think about how not starting over would affect the image. Good idea about the tutorial too--wouldn't be too hard to write I'd imagine.

Amanda
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2001, 02:51 PM

Well you still have some dark lines on your mom from the original photo, which is make her standout from the background. You may want to do some careful erasing with a small brush to remove the dark outlines.

Also if you look at your before picture, your mom has a shadow to the left of her. To create a shadow layer, make a copy of the layer with the people on it. Use the eyedropper tool and select one of the dark greens from the background. Select the copied image of the people and fill the selected image with the dark green. Move the shadow layer under the layer with the people. Now move the shadow image down and to the left. Add a Gaussian blur and Motion Blur to soften the shadow. Next set the opacity low enough so it mimics a shadow. This should help reduce the floating effect and tends to be more realistic than the drop shadow effect in PhotoShop. Also you need to cut out the dark area between the two legs on your mom so the background can show through. It looks like this is part of the original photo and not the new background. Hope this helps.

-T
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help