RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Critique AKJ

Old 08-30-2001, 12:04 PM

Critique AKJ

Hello Everyone,

Could you take a peek at the image I've uploaded (yes, this is me and mom on my happy day). In my quest to get rid of the color cast and fix skin tones I've created bizarre green areas in my veil and at the bottom of my dress. Any ideas on how to get rid of this? I placed the subjects on a green background hoping it might hide the problem a bit, but it still bothers me (of course). :p

I basically followed the same steps as Katrin in Chapter 7--Recreating Backgrounds--except I slapped a green color layer over her grey background (I feel like such a cheater).

I'll also post the original image so you can take a peak at that too if you're interested. Any other suggestions would be appreciated also.

Thanks

Amanda
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2001, 12:06 PM

Hey--where'd my picture go? Oh well--here's the after:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg happyday2.jpg (25.4 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2001, 12:07 PM

And here's before:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg happyday1.jpg (21.5 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2001, 12:23 PM

Okay, I’ll take a stab at this. Did you also follow Katrin Eismann’s tip in chapter 7 for creating a drop shadow? If so, my guess is that your green cast might be from the drop shadow layer your created. Is your drop shadow layer UNDER the layer that has the bride? Also, you need to add a drop shadow to your mom as right now she is floating above your background. If that’s not it, you could select the area in question and make an adjustment layer and try a color correction. Well, that’s my guess. By the way, you made a beautiful bride.

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2001, 04:20 PM
Janitor

When you masked the image, did you perhaps have some 'holes' in the mask? This sometimes leads to unintended seethrough portions. This can also happen when using selection tools with too much feathering.

If this was the case, a red background will cause a red cast, blue will cause blue cast, etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2001, 05:04 PM

My guess is, your problem lies with the masking, or rather lack of it. I doesn't appear that you masked off the areas you wanted to keep, before appling the green.
I'm not sure how familiar you are with masking, but if you think it's worth a shot, check out this simple tutorial about masking:
Quick Mask Tutorial
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2001, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the info guys--I thought I did an OK good with masking but maybe I need to re-check things. I did the example from Katrin's book a couple times and that seemed to turn out OK. But now that I'm working with color perhaps my lack of experience is showing. :p

Tutorial looks good Vikki--I'm going to check it out as soon as I get a minute.

Doug: What I did for the mask was I made a rough outline around me and my mom with the lasso tool and then converted the selection to a mask--and then fixed the edges with the paintbrush. I had a small feather--maybe 1. I'd never heard of holes with masking. Sounds frightening.

T--Good point about the drop shadows. I'll check that out.

I'll let you know how it goes. Moving over to Photoshop . . .

Amanda
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2001, 10:19 PM

For those of you interested, I've uploaded a picture of my dog that I've tinkered with. This is a very basic picture. I'd like to get more complicated--make specialized backgrounds, collages, etc. but I thought I'd better start from the ground up. Any suggestions to make this picture more "interesting" or is simple better?

Amanda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maggiebw.jpg (22.3 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2001, 10:33 PM
Janitor

To check for 'holes' in your mask, doubleclick on the quickmask icon and set the opacity to 100% (you'll probably want to leave it at 50% for day-to-day work). Set the color to something that contrasts with your work (red is traditional). Any area that shows any degree of this color will have a corresponding degree of masking.

Masks are essentially just a grayscale image stored either in the memory (a quickmask) or as a separate channel (alpha channels). They have all the characteristics and editability of any other image, including levels of transparency.

If you're using too big a brush, too soft a brush, or too big a feathering amount you can leave semi-transparent 'halos' around your masks. These can cause all sorts of unexpected results.

Just remember, as with all PS tools, depending on your setting, you can be affecting a much larger area than indicated, even when using 'precise' cursors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2001, 10:36 PM

Thanks Doug--that clears things up. Perhaps I need a mask to cover up the "holes" in my brain.

Amanda
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help