RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

removing red cast

Old 05-06-2003, 11:10 PM

JR,

Here's my contribution. I didn't work on any damage, just the color problem - I hand colored it.

I replaced the red channel with the L channel from Lab Mode and then adjusted that new channel to give more depth. I converted to grayscale and then sepia toned in duotone.

I selected all areas to be colored and saved the selections. After adding the color I wanted on separate layers, I did a hue/sat adjustment to both the new color layers and the original background layer underneath in just the selected areas until I had the look I wanted. I also made a few levels adjustments to the original layer in just the selected areas.

Finally, I selected just the background and did a hue/sat adjustment to add more depth and separate them from the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-boyles jak.jpg (55.9 KB, 100 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2003, 12:47 AM

Nice work (as always) Jak!

Cinderella, I too often have trouble with the midtones eyedropper. Sometimes I just have to get it close, then (still in Levels) adjust the middle slider in each individual channel by manually tweaking it to get what I want. And sometimes I have to add an additional adjustment layer to fine-tune just a part of the image (using a mask) - most often skin tones. Once you understand the basics, then it's easier to fine tune because you have some idea of what's actually happening when you move the sliders.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2003, 10:30 AM

using digital roc &sho plus a little burning in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-boyles res rg s2.jpg (76.7 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2003, 12:35 PM

Hi all, the trials continue. Here is my version of a combination of the techniques described by Jean, Flora and Andy.

Thanks Jak for doing such a beautiful colorization. I tried to do some this AM.

What I am learning is there is no quick and easy way to get rid of the dreaded red cast and I need to spend a LOT more time practicing and understanding(?) the various methods.

Thanks again for all the help and inspiration. Now I'm going to look at the instructions for sending a photo to RP. I know they are here somewhere. Not finding them. Am using PS "Save for Web" medium quality 640x480 (approx) .

Hey Mark, What an interesting version of the Boyles. What is dig roc and sho??? Thanks for your photo.

Have a nice day ya'll.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vs-2--boyles-orig.jpg (24.9 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2003, 07:49 PM

Hi Jak, I took a look at the L channel from Lab Mode and see how much crisper it is. So then I duplicated the file. And tried to move +shift the L channel from the Lab file onto the selected red channel in the other RGB file. This didn't work. Sooooooo could you be so kind as to tell me how you replace the red with L??????
Thanking you again. JR
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2003, 06:55 AM

There is a tutorial HERE for replacing channels. That's how I did it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2003, 08:41 AM

Thanks Jak, When I added step 5 of the tut the channel was replaced. Now I'm going to study your tut on colorization.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2003, 12:08 PM

Flora and Jac both got good results. Notice that each of them treated areas of the picture separately, which is the only way to handle this picture. It has so much red and so few other colors that there is no way to "correct" the color overall. I'd not waste time playing with it, but make it b/w, then add a sepia cast to it and proceed to colorize it manually with fuzzy brush set to low opacity and color mode. This, of course, after working on the b/w version to get rid of the jpeg artifacts and correcting the tonal balance.

Phyllis
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2003, 02:39 PM

I'm a little late getting in on this one, but then I get the benefit of everyone's help, advice and expertise....soooooo -

I used the tip about substituting the L channel, which helped enormously. Greyscaled it and hand colored it. On the clothing layers, I added about 6-10% noise which helped flatten out some of the worst of the color blocks. Did the same thing to the edges of the woman's hair which gave the effect of more hair strands, flattened the image, added about 3% noise to the whole thing, and adjusted the contrast.

Thanks for everyone's tips info and links. I love RP!

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg theboyles_aspi.jpg (69.3 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2003, 10:48 AM

Looks great Chris, Thank you.
I'm still fighting with colorizeing and am wondering about the sepia background vs greyscale to start with. What would make one choose one over the other???

Thanks for the tip about brush . Maybe that will help. My skin tones are way too orange. And I am using the Beard skintones.

Learning so much. Thanks to everyone.
Joyce
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help