RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Can you fix my mom?

Old 05-23-2003, 08:40 AM

What a great job you are all doing, and Flora, your results were stunning. I couldn't resist playing around with your delightful mum too, Royce....even to the extent of doing 3 of her in different styles..hope you don't mind me submitting all 3. I will try to explain as best as I can how I did this first version...please bear with me,

I too can't stand things not on the correct angle etc...so I cropped and rotated the photo first of all. I had great fun working on 'Mom'...she was such a pretty girl and a pleasure to do.

For this first one, I tried to keep it as natural as possible, enhancing the colours , after getting rid of that awful yellow and some blue. These are the steps that I took to get this result.

* Applied PSP 8's One Step Photo fix script.

*Background eraser to remove background...created a new layer for a new background

*filled this with gradient and then used Fantastic Machine filter.

*Gamma Correction to get the colours back to normal.

*Color Balance...to do just that. *s*

*fixed scratches etc with Retouch tools...push, smudge, soften.

*Isolated hair, face and neck and clothing with lasoo tool...put them on their own layers to work on later.

*Colour to target for the hair...sharpen, lighten and darken to 'lift' it slightly.

*duplicated twice, the face and neck...on one of these copies I changed the blend layer to 'Screen' and lowered the opacity to about 32. On the other copy I sprayed a deep blush colour and then Gaussian blurred at about 20.0..lowering the opacity to about 30. Merged Visible the face and neck areas. I then lightend in certain areas to give highlight and used the smudge brush to blend in. For the real yellow and blue areas I applied a brush with the flesh colour...softly does it.

*repaired clothing and then applied a soft shadow around your mum, finishing off with the soften brush to get rid of any sharp outlines.

*merged all layers visible. I thought it was still lacking somewhat so did a couple more things to it.

*Auto saturation enhancer and then Clarify

*Filters Unlimited 2.0 Color Booster...24

I too take things one step at a time and do not have any set way of doing things...sort of trial and error...not organised either, Flora.

Cheers,
Opal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loz_mom.jpg (95.8 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2003, 08:48 AM

For this second version, Royce...I made it greyscale and then colourised....this was another way to get rid of the yellow, but although I like it, it seems more like an oil painting. I used several layers to get the complexion as it is....it was just a fun thing for me to do so I won't get too involved in the steps that I took...apart from everything else.... I can't remember what they were. I like to try to do all different effects and often apply it in work that I do for others.

cheers
Opal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loz_mom_color.jpg (93.7 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2003, 08:59 AM

Last one..sorry for hogging the board.

For this I just changed the finished photo to greyscale and applied a slight canvas texture to it...would be great on a birthday card or framed wall print...at least I think it would.

cheers
Opal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loz_mom_grey.jpg (89.7 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2003, 11:23 AM

Opal -- nice work, and there's no thought of you "hogging" the board when you're submitting different versions of your work, especially when you're sharing how you've created them.

Your first version, as the straight restoration, is my preference. It is very well done. The top left of the background is a bit too "blown out" for my tastes, but the girl herself is ready for a family member to see. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2003, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ Swartz
The top left of the background is a bit too "blown out" for my tastes, but the girl herself is ready for a family member to see. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Thanks so much, CJ, I am inclined to agree with you on that...it bugged me quite a lot but I must admit that I was concentrating more on the 'girl', I was rather pleased with her. Thanks for your obversations, much appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2003, 06:15 PM

GREAT THREAD

WOW and WOW again. I have been absorbed in this thread this morning and enjoying how everyone progressed with their tries at restoring this photo. Well done, you were all certainly giving it your best shot! I am grateful for the efforts taken to explain 'steps taken'...... so informative and I've learned a lot. Many thanks to you all. The results were fantastic Flora and Opal (your first one I favour too)...I've copied both your techniques to give them a go and taken note of all other tips provided especially yours Phyllis - thank you.

i.e. (......will take care of just the overly yellow areas without affecting color in other parts of the photo. All you need to do is use the paintbrush, a really big fuzzy one, set to low opacity and color mode. Then choose a few colors to use instead of that yellow and brush over the areas a few times here and there. Mixing slightly different colors will give it a more natural look.)

Slainte
Jade

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2003, 07:01 PM

Jennifer

Thank you so much for your comment

Phyllis

Thank you for your kind words and Tip ... I actually used it and described it in the following step of my description ...
Quote:
6) I corrected the colours using Selective Color, Hue&Saturation and a soft Airbrush (Mode->Color, Opacity 10-30%).
... I didn't specify what I used for what and how, though....

Opal

Thank you very much for your comment.
Great work!!
I agree with CJ and Jade about favouring your first version, but I love the textured greyscale too ....

Jade

Thank you so much for your kind words ...
The sharing and learning is what makes of RP a very special place .....
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2003, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Flora
Jade

The sharing and learning is what makes of RP a very special place ..... [/B]
I couldn't agree more, I've learned so much in a short space of time and always thirsty for more info.

Cheers
Jade
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2003, 06:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Flora
[B]Jennifer

Great work!!

I agree with CJ and Jade about favouring your first version, but I love the textured greyscale too ....

Thanks, Flora!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help