RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Need some help with this Black & white

Old 05-21-2003, 11:56 AM

Hi Jeanie,

Thanks again for your note and the info regarding the penPalette and Tablet. I will check it out. The photo must have been taken in the early 1900's as the woman's birthdate is in 1874 (from the paperwork taped onto the photo) and I'm guessing she was in her 30's when the picture was taken. She was killed in the Nazi Concentration Camps and restoring her picture is a wonderful way to honor her memory. I'm happy that it's coming out so well, though I'm still trying to figure out exactly how KenB did his work, particularly on the background. I bet you're right that the original was made on textured paper and that this is a copy from it.

I'm curious what a Tablet is used for and when would you need one? Do many of you out there use one for restorations??

All the best,
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2003, 01:39 PM

Hi Diane,

and here is yet another attempt to restore your picture ...
I didn't use any 'external' help .... just PS7 ....

After straightening and cropping the image, here is what I did:

1) Lifted the shadows with the Curves Tool.

2) Used Healing Brush, Clone Tool and the Layer via Copy technique to rapair the damages.

3) I slightly increased the Canvas size as to add some space above the top of her head.

4) I used the Radial Gradient to replace the background... (to avoid a flat one colour backdrop) and merged the image.

5) Choosing a soft Brush, I used the Blur Tool and Airbrush, adjusting their Opacity, to reduce some noise and smooth her skin as naturally as possible.

6) I created a New Layer (setting its blending to Overlay) and with a soft either black or white Brush (Opacity 5-10%) I highlighted or darkened different parts of her face to give it a more 3-dimensional feeling.

7) Used the High Pass filter to lightly sharpen the image.

8) Lightly colorized the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fwoman.jpg (99.7 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2003, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dipech
Hi Jeanie,

Thanks again for your note and the info regarding the penPalette and Tablet. I will check it out. The photo must have been taken in the early 1900's as the woman's birthdate is in 1874 (from the paperwork taped onto the photo) and I'm guessing she was in her 30's when the picture was taken. She was killed in the Nazi Concentration Camps and restoring her picture is a wonderful way to honor her memory. I'm happy that it's coming out so well, though I'm still trying to figure out exactly how KenB did his work, particularly on the background. I bet you're right that the original was made on textured paper and that this is a copy from it.

I'm curious what a Tablet is used for and when would you need one? Do many of you out there use one for restorations??

All the best,
Diane
Diane, I would be TOTALY lost without my tablet, an Intuos 2 4x5. I can't remember exactly what pen palette cost, but it was less than 100 dollars. You get a lot more control with a tablet than you can ever get with a mouse and also your brushes respond to pressure. Once you use one, you'll wonder how you ever did anything with just a mouse.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2003, 03:30 PM

Awesome job Flora.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2003, 08:50 AM

Thank you Ken!

...Your grey version is beautiful!!!

.....and ... boy! do I agree with you about the masking tape !!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2003, 12:54 PM

4) I used the Radial Gradient to replace the background... (to avoid a flat one colour backdrop) and merged the image. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Flora:

I really love the version you did! Bravo! You are a master!!

I was wondering if you could break down step 4 a bit further with how you used the radial gradient. Did you first select her face with the quick mask?

Also, what is the "layer via copy" technique?

Thank you very very much for your help,
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2003, 07:00 PM

Hi Diane,

Thank you so much for your kind words...

...The answer to you question is yes, I selected the woman (using whatever selection tool or technique you feel comfortable with) and copied her on her own layer, placing it above the 'Radial Gradient Layer I had already prepared.

I did all this while still working on a desaturated picture.... with the colour picker I chose a darker and a lighter grey from the image and placed the lighter spot taking into consideration the direction of the light on her face, (from left to right).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg background.jpg (98.8 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2003, 07:22 PM

....and as for the Layer via Copy technique, It was one of the first Tip
I found in internet ....

It consists in selecting (a good) part of the picture and, if you use Widows, hit "Ctrl+J" to copy the selection on its own Layer. After this, you can move "V" the newly copied selection to cover wathever you want to hide on the underlying Layer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layerviacopy.jpg (99.5 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help