RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

save my Nyala

Old 06-02-2003, 07:24 PM

save my Nyala

What can be done to save this photo? The Nyala is usually found in heavy brush and poor lighting conditions but I really fouled up this shot. I'd like to try to make the animal stand out and to fix the sky. How can the sky be selected? As you can tell, I'm really new at this and need a lot of help. I am using PhotoShop Elements. Thanks very much. Tom

Last edited by flight1; 06-02-2003 at 08:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2003, 07:47 PM

Tom - welcome to RetouchPro, I tried to use your link but got the following error:

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /u29/flight1/medium/17381429.Nyalafornet.jpg on this server. "

Can you attach the image to your post?

I am trying to find the link with instructions --- IF I do not find it one of the better searchers will!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2003, 08:49 PM

save my Nyala

Thanks for the reply, Jill. I'm new to all this and will try again to send photo. Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nyala-for-net.jpg (41.7 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2003, 09:28 PM

Tom -- Welcome to RetouchPRO!

As Chuck mentioned, we can't get a good look at the image or show what you can do to improve it until you upload a larger resolution version. It can be confusing at first, but it happens a lot when we're newbies -- it gets better with practice.

Usually the photo will upload at a good size if you make the pixel width no more than 800 pixels. Your upload was waaaay smaller.

I don't have Elements, but we do have a forum for Elements users -- one a Q and A forum and one for members who are using a book by Richard Lynch to learn -- and Richard is the moderator of both forums. Here's a link to the Q/A:

Photoshop Elements - Q and A

Have you learned about making selections of parts of an image yet? You can select the sky and then add a layer above your original photo layer and add a sky-blue color (or clouds or whatever) to that layer so that you won't just see the blown-out highlights. You can select the Nyala or parts of it to make the color show better.

You're in a good place to get information and help as well as meet other folks who share some of your interests!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2003, 09:35 PM

Thanks CJ and Chuck - knew one of you guys would come to the rescue.
I saved the image to try and get a look at it. As Chuck said need more pixels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2003, 10:07 PM

Tom, welcome to RP

The first step will be how to lighten the image so as to bring out the detail (when you are working on your larger image). I don't know Elements, but I have been told that it is similar to Photoshop in the basics.

There is a lot to learn, so pace yourself to learn each tool and technique that you find / discover. Trust me, it will all come together.

So, just focusing on lightening the photo, I have attached 3 different ways with Photoshop, one or all of them might apply to Elements.

Brightness / Contrast: Menu Commands: Image > Adjust > Brightness/Contrast, move the sliders to your preference. This technique works but can loose more detail in the light or dark areas.

Screen: Duplicate your backgroud layer (easiest way is to drag the background layer with the mouse to the new layer icon in the layers pallette), change the new layer's blending mode to "Screen".

Curves: Menu Command: Image > Adjust > Curves, Click on the middle of the line and drag it in the direction that lightens the image. There is more control if you do this in a Curves adjustment layer.

I know some of this will be "greek" to you. Keeping it handy and picking away at it is a good way to learn because you will know that you are headed in the right direction for what you want to accomplish.

There are always multiple ways to do things - usually it is just personal preference, with no one way being right or wrong, I just wanted to give you a sense of this starting out. I was confused when I started with a sense of "wait, I thought this was how that was done".

In Photoshop learning comes from playing! Photoshop is like a tool box, some of the tools are more obvious in usage than others (we are all still discovering new ways of doing things). This forum, books and your Elements Help files will give you the resources to experiment and figure out how the different tools can be applied to your images.

Have FUN, -Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nyala-for-net_combined.jpg (76.0 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2003, 10:57 PM

Good job, Roger!
Excellent information also.

You made me go back and give it a try even at this resolution -- using a bit of Color Range Selecting with Hue/Saturation correction/manipulation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg savenyala.jpg (21.8 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2003, 11:58 PM

Flight1.

What a great shot.... would love to see this enlarged.

Very nice, Roger.... Yours is much clearer than I could get with just using curves.

C J.... you did very well, so much greenery shows up in yours.

My effort with this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 111-nyala-for.jpg (7.5 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2003, 01:45 AM

Unfortunately, as Chuck said, we need more pixels to be of real assistance

I have a feeling that the nyala may be a bit small in the frame - you possibly needed to be a bit closer or have used a bigger lens. But having been in similar situations many times, I know how difficult it is to get that right

Anyway, here is a kudu and a nyala (both of which required some drastic adjustments).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2003, 08:26 AM

save my Nyala

Thanks to everyone for your help. I am trying once more to send a usual image. It's great to find a place with so many friendly and knowledgeable people. Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nyala1.jpg (97.4 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help