RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

A real challenge-yellowed tape over half of face

Old 06-16-2003, 11:49 PM

Diane

I am glad you are getting this!

Apply Image was just the settings I stated, no other settings. The reason there are no other settings is that we are just filling the empty layer with the red channel so that we can use the brightness (the black & white or luminosity information) of the red channel.

The type of mask I am talking about is a layer mask, 2nd icon from the left at the bottom of the layers window. When I say select mask it is to make sure that the layer mask is active (bold box around mask on layer in layer window) rather than the image on that layer being selected. I don't mean to make it an active selection ... I should have said click on the layer mask to make it active. Sorry, I am bad.

Photoshop can be confusing since the word mask is used in many different places.

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2003, 06:20 PM

Roger,

Thanks again very much for taking the time to reply. I followed the last steps about applying the red layer a few times and ended up with the dress area still yellow, but a much lighter yellow. Still not sure all my settings in Apply Image were right-- should the source in the top box have been "merged" or the background Layer?? I will have to study the Apply Image tool a bit further... But I plowed on and cleaned up the yellow with the cloning tool etc. Thought I'd post how its looking...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6-17-young-child on horse.jpg (89.4 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2003, 06:46 PM

Whoops... posted the wrong one...

Diane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4-w roger\'s help.jpg (68.3 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2003, 12:49 AM

Diane,

I am tired, so let me know if this isn't clear, I wanted to give a qiuick response in case you were waiting for my reply ...

Your version looks very good, although the face is a little blurry. I think that is probably because you are using the smudge tool. the smudge tool is really good at creating an average tone among mixed light and dark areas when you stay away from areas of detail, but keep to areas like the cheecks that would normally be smooth. usually you will need to add back some noise or texture, if only subtley to areas that have been smudged.

Apply Image ...

-Source: the photo you are working on
-Layer: Merged (you want all the layers that are visible combined, in this case there is just the one layer with an image on it, the background plus the new blank layer)
-Channel: Red
-Blending: Multiply or Normal (it is reacting to an empty layer, so it doesn't matter - like making a new layer and setting it's blending mode to multiply, if there is nothing on the layer to multiply to the image below it won't change anything)
-Opacity: 100%

This is just a quick and easy way to past a channel into a new layer (or even the combined image of all of the layers into a new layer), I am sure there are other ways to do this, it is the way I am used to.

I ended up with the tape area too yellow also, but lighter. That is why I loaded the tape area as a selection and then created a hue/saturation adjustment layer, with which I lowered the saturation.

Hope this help, I am off to bed, Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2003, 03:55 PM

Hi Roger,

Thanks again for all your help! You are wonderful! I ended up having to start all over from the beginning to redo the face, but this time it went quickly and I am getting these steps down! It is interesting how fast you can do these things once you know what you're doing. I hadn't used the smudge tool earlier, but the blur tool to try to blend in some of the white spots on the face. Guess that caused the effect you noticed. So this time I used mostly the healing brush in both replace and normal mode and the cloning tool and the burn tool on the face.

I also ordered the Photoshop Chops book you mentioned. For anyone else who's interested, it is available on Amazon.com.

So here is my improved face version

All the best,
Diane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6-19-young-400dpi w usm.jpg (35.6 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2003, 03:59 PM

Diane - I have been watching your progression here and just wanted to comment on the difference from your first submission to this one here. Roger does wonderful work and I have been keeping track of the tips he has given you - learned a lot on this thread. Great job and it's good to see you did not give up!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2003, 04:14 PM

Looks like the picture posted too small, so I resized it and am reposting.

Diane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg last child on horse-j#57009.jpg (80.9 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2003, 06:08 PM

Question

Could I ask why you didn't remove the tape?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2003, 06:46 PM

Hi Jim,

The original is very old and fragile. It seemed unthinkable to try to remove the tape which had been on there a very long time. You could easily end up totally destroying the original--a risk I did not even consider taking.

All the best,
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2003, 07:31 PM

Just a suggestion Diane, but you might want to look into the History, Conservation and Repair section of the forum here - then go to an antique store or garage sale and gather up the biggest mess of ruined old photos you can find.

The idea is raising your comfort level in handling distressed old photos of course - and believe me, taking off that tape is not anywhere near as difficult as the steps you have to take if you don't. More inportant to your clients, it gives you a shot at a much more professional final result.

I'm with you on "unthinkable" until you've done it a least a few dozen times though! Practicing on the ones that have already been tossed is the only way to go!

Jim Conway,
Timemark Photo Conservators
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help