RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How to clean

Old 06-28-2003, 05:14 PM

How to clean - see image below in replies

The image that goes with this is below in a reply to this post.

One of the problems I run into is present in the attachment. If you look at the blue channel there is a "film" like a dirty window is in front of the image. Presuming I cannot correct by cleaning the actual photo, how might I remove the "dirt" in Photoshop?? I am using 7.01.

Last edited by mm70190; 06-29-2003 at 04:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2003, 04:06 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hmmmm, not much luck. If you keep the file size to 100K or under, and save as a .jpg, you shouldn't have any problem attaching it. Welcome to the site, and good luck.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2003, 04:19 PM

Here's Image

Last try then I'll give up my career making a living in computers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sandys kids.jpg (82.0 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2003, 06:46 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I'm not sure what you mean by dirt in the blue channel. Maybe you're talking about jpg artifacts? Anyhow, I took a quick shot at it. Basically what I did was to take a reading of the pupil of an eye for color information since we know it's black. I found the red channel was lacking, so I made a curves adjustment layer, and targeted the red channel. Then I held down ctrl. and clicked on the pupil to find my red channel point in the pupil of the eye. I then used the up arrow on the keyboard to bring it to within one point of the blue and green channels. I did the same thing with the white of the eye (even though this is not a pure white), then made a contrast adjustment in the curves dialog box, but under the RBG mode. I didn't do anything with the other damage. Maybe someone else will let me know if I'm on the right track or not.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sandys kids.jpg (87.9 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2003, 06:49 PM

Such a precious couple of kids!

I started by looking at the individual channels, and using Alien Skin's Image Doctor/JPEG repair on a couple of layers. I then put the channels back together again, and added a layer of the green channel with the blend mode set to luminocity. I merged these, and put this layer over a copy of the original image. I used clarify on the original layer.

On the jpg repaired layer, I used grey world color balance, and then automatic color balance. I set this layer to color legacy blend mode, and merged with the original layer.

I then took some of the better color areas, selected the color, and using change to color, target, I got rid of the worst of the yellowing.

I then used the clone brush and the smudge brush to repair the damage at the bottom.

If you would like an uncompressed full size version, say as a tif file, let me know, and I'll email it to you.

It could still use a bit more cleanup work, I only spent about an hour on it.

Tyeise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sandys-kids.jpg (97.2 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help