RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Color Fade driving me crazy

Old 08-04-2003, 12:05 AM

Kevin

Looks wonderfull! I went back and changed my levels and hue/sat layers to color blending modes. Then did a levels adjustment on top of those layers, it looked better with some detail in the shadows. I will have to follow Jeanie's steps...

Yours looks great!

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2003, 09:49 AM

I also followed Jeanie's method,but added a brightness & contrast adj.I,ve been away for awile,so please advise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pappy.jpg (51.3 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2003, 09:11 PM

Hi Don, your efforts look very close to Jeanie's. I'm going to work on this one a little bit more but I am fairly satisfied with the outcome. I want to do more with the skin.

Thanks Roger for the compliment. What bothers me about Jeanie's work was she got there in 15 minutes. Wish that I could make major corrections that fast. I usually get the job done but not in that time frame.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2003, 10:13 PM

Hi Stephen, I read the article by Dan Margulis. That is a mode I haven't tried yet. It is very interesting and I have played around with it some this evening. The concept of what the three LAB channels do is kind of far out there if you are used to working only in RGB. I'm going to spend more time with this and see if I can apply it to restoration. It seems like this mode can do things that RGB and CMYK cannot. Thanks for sharing that information.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2003, 07:00 PM

What bothers me about Jeanie's work was she got there in 15 minutes. Wish that I could make major corrections that fast.

Let me just say that I was surprised at how fast this one went too. To be honest, most photos like this take me a LOT longer to do - and some I'm never happy with. I just lucked out with this one I guess.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2003, 03:29 AM

Kevin, I suspect you'll find that the basic corrections will go very quickly once you get comfortable with color corrections and channels. I did a quick test, and the following--very incomplete--version took 3.5 minutes.

Unfortunately, what doesn't go quickly is the detail work, and "that's left as an exercise for the student" [grin] The detail work, though, is what separates the so-so job from the professional, and it can't be skimped on in Real Life.

Steps here were basic:
  • Levels adjustment layer to maximize contrast. Normally, I'd use Curves, but Levels seemed easier for this image.
  • Hue/Saturation layer to rotate to a good skintone;
  • Duplicate and convert the dupe into LAB mode;
  • Apply Image using Green as the target and Lightness as the source; mode set to normal and around 50% (That was primarily to get rid of the worst streaks, but it also put some texture back in the trees.)
  • Desaturate adjustment layer, masking the jacket. (The only non-global change made--I prefer leaving the details until the end, to help preserve whateve image integrity there may be.)

It'd take me hours to really clean it up, but getting near is usually easy. I strongly second Stephen's suggestion about Dan Margulis' book on color correction; it helped me tremendously. (It's not an easy read, but it's by far the best I've seen on color and tonal corrections.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colorfade_kdc.jpg (34.2 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2003, 09:03 PM

Hi Kevin, thanks for your input. I am going to exploit the LAB adjustments more it really looks like it has it's place in my work flow. My war chest needs more tools that will work and save time as well.

Jeanie, thanks for your help. I think you are too modist at times.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2003, 05:43 AM

LAB will do a handful of things well, and do damage to far more--but it's useful to use the Lightness when you're forced to channel blend, as it reduces the color shifting that would occur if you blended, say, Red into Green, or Green into Blue, or whatever. It still messes things up, but not as much, meaning the recovery from the side-effects of the desired fix is easier.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2003, 04:45 AM

Hi Kevin!

...Just came back from a couple of days of something vaguely resembling a holiday ..

I saw you picture and wanted to try as well .... What I did was:

1) Duplicate the image and changed it to LAB.

2) Copied the Lightness Channel and pasted it onto the Green and the Blue Channels of the RGB picture.

3) Working on the RGB picture, I used the Levels to adjust each individual Channel until I got acceptable colours.

4) Used a 'Contrast Mask' to lighten the shadows (bringing out the trees details) and adjust the contrast.

After that, I corrected the colours with Hue&Saturation, Color Balance and Selective Colors Adjustment Layers ... I added an Overlay Layer to improve lights and shadows .... and lightly sharpen the gentleman only with the High Pass filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fw2_upload-of-pappys-pic.jpg (97.6 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help