RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Bad skin fix required

Old 11-22-2003, 08:06 PM

Andrew B

Sorry, I blew right past your post. I agree. I tend to underdo corrective work to maintain an element of reality. I think too much gives you the Playboy perfect look.

Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2003, 07:24 AM

I know it's too late to be of use to the original poster, but here's my attempt using Lee Varis' "Perfect Makeup" technique from the second edition of Katrin Eismann's Photoshop Restoration and Retouching.

In outline - duplicate background, run Noise -> Median and Gaussian Blur. Add a Hide All mask and paint in selectively. Then use noise and embossing on an Overlay layer to add texture back in.

I also slightly enlarged and brightened her eyes, just to practice...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p8109184-copy.jpg (98.3 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2003, 04:00 PM

Mama's Makeover

I have a tutorial on my site for this, also as an Action Retouch in the November & December issues of SBS Digital Design Magazine. Though there are variations on the approach, I found the very simplest did the job.
1. Dup the background
2. Gaus Blur AMT 9 on the dup
3. Add noise 2.5 on the dup
4. Alt click the layer mask icon for the dup (this gives you a black mask)
5. With the dup layer mask highlighted, paint with white over the skin areas, but not the edges (nostrils, eyelines, lips etc.) White reveals the smooth skin.
6. Lower dup layer opacity, or not, to achieve desired result.

This takes all of 60 seconds to do!

Luvs,
Mama

see mama's image
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2003, 05:52 PM

Hmmm....

And I'm told airbrushing is unrealistic?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2003, 10:55 PM

Re: Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally posted by pierresplace
And I'm told airbrushing is unrealistic?
Hmmm. Dude, what's up with that crack?

You're still on the other thread in critiques. I don't think you offended anyone who questioned airbrushing faces, I know I wasn't offended, doesn't matter to me how anybody does anything. Why should I care? For what it's worth, I don't like overly smoothed-out faces either, which I think you're commenting on here.

It's simply I have never heard of anyone using traditional airbrushing on faces. I was initially trained in the traditional end of it by Jane Connor Ziser (someone still teaching professionally, and quoted in Eisman's book), who told us not to airbrush people, instead covered the dye techniques and stressed avoiding overdoing it so it didn't look airbrushed. You do know, when a non-retoucher says a portrait "looks airbrushed," they mean "it looks fake." (When it probably wasn't actually airbrushed.) You said trad. airbrush should be used on faces, hey I can admit I'm wrong. Whatever looks good, right?

So what exactly do you mean by "airbrushing?" You keep talking about it, but you've never shown it. In Photoshop, it's just an option on the brush tool to let opacity build slowly when you hold the button down. You select a color and go and paint with the brush tool on people??? Why won't you share what it is you're talking about? Nobody's offended. Rather, you're the one acting offended.

You said you used airbrushing for skin tone adjustments. You meant with Photoshop, right? Why haven't you, say, used the image in this very thread to share this technique?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2003, 02:26 AM

Sigh.......

Oh communication, that elusvie state. I'm just having my morning coffee so I do no have the time nor inclination right now to debate with you, however, I did say I'd send something up to the board, and I will. Also, I did point out in another post how I do this. In addition, you mention you never heard of it AND someone told you not to do it. Is that the end all, be all of the matter? I also posted some before and afters recently using only the airbrush to accomplish the results.

An option on the brush tool? No wonder we're so far from understanding each other here. I use 5.5, yes PhotoShop, and the airbrush is a tool unto itself, not an option on another tool. And you say I'm making cracks? Are you using PhotoShop?

Listen, I'll put something up here but I will tell you one thing, just because you were told something once before, or never heard of something before, does not mean that it's carved in stone. I come here to learn and to share. The post previous to "my crack" showed an example of another techinque, a 60 second technique to remove blemishes. That is what my "crack" was aimed at. That's realistic? Posts do not necessarily have something to do with you. They usually follow the post previous to them. Now let's call a time out now on this foolish argumentativeness and be professionals.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2003, 08:08 AM

Hey I said I can admit I'm wrong. Whatever looks good, all I was saying. I know how message boards work, I used PS since 3.0, and wasn't flaming you. But I do think you were flaming photoshopmama.

I searched your name, and I think I found the post you're talking about, and I checked your webpage.

Just forget I said anything.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2003, 09:08 AM

Hugs and kisses everyone! One last thing though. I have Photoshop 7 and can't even find an airbrush tool. Is this true? If so, if I ever want to use this technique on anything, is there a way I can do it?

Cheers
Duv
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2003, 03:53 PM

When you select the brush tool
Up top in the center you should see a air brush Set to enable airbrush
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2003, 07:17 PM

Silly me. I see it. Thanks!

Duv
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help