RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Bad skin fix required

Old 08-30-2003, 02:46 PM

Unhappy Bad skin fix required

Wet behind the ears!

I have a series of photos taken of a model. She however has a skin problem that I have pulled my hair out trying to come up with a fix for it within PS7.
I have tried many tips seen here, but I am convinced this one needs to have my hands held and shown the way.
I am seeking some help with this one:
Better skin tone

Thanks.
GlenG
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2003, 04:00 PM

GlenG:
I don't know if this is what you're looking for or not. If it is, this is how I did it.

I duplicated the background layer twice so that I would have a total of three layers. The background layer is not used but is there for backup. Turn off your top layer so that you are able to see the middle layer. You do this by clicking on the icon that resembles an eye. This way you can turn the layer on and off as needed. Then selecting the middle layer apply a median blur, which you find under filter > noise > median. Watch the image as you apply the median and stop when you no longer see the blemishes. Don't overdo it. Next, go to filter > texture > grain and apply the following settings: intensity at 14-20, contrast at 50 and grain type soft.

Now go to your top layer and click on the eye to turn the layer back on. Select your eraser tool and set the opacity to 50 percent. Now, brush away the forehead, cheeks, etc. as needed. Remember each time you lift off the mouse button, you will take another 50 percent off of the image. Try to do it slowly. You might want to try actually setting your opacity at 25 percent maybe. Stay away from the eyes and just do the cheeks, forehead, etc. Flatten image and that should do it. You might want to do a little adjustment in your levels and then use unsharp mask to bring it out nicely.

Hope this helps you. It really doesn't take that long to do once you get accustomed to doing it. Others usually suggest using a history brush to do the same thing I mentioned above. This is just a shortcut. Steve
Image Of Model

Last edited by Trimoon; 08-30-2003 at 04:06 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2003, 04:48 PM

Hi. This is an interesting picture because the look is so natural I didn't want to take it too far, or not far enough. I'm still not sure which I did.

Anyway, because I just bought the plugin version of Neat Image, I wanted to see if I could use that as the first step. So:

Copy Background to new layer. In Neat Image I dragged a rectangle on her forehead and saved without any tweaking. This was just to get some smoothness to work with. Set to 63% opacity to bring in more of the skin texture from the background. Copied merged to a new layer. Then using healing brush, I hit the worst spots, being careful not to ruin the highlights.

You could get this smoother with more healing brush or or less smooth by masking out parts of the smooth version. Neat Image has a free demo if you want to give this a try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p8109184_mod.jpg (99.5 KB, 269 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2003, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trimoon
GlenG:
I don't know if this is what you're looking for or not. If it is, this is how I did it.
..snip..
Hope this helps you. It really doesn't take that long to do once you get accustomed to doing it. Others usually suggest using a history brush to do the same thing I mentioned above. This is just a shortcut. Steve
Thanks Steve, your results and step by step instructions are just what I am after. I would probably seek a softer look for her skin I however have something by which to work with for which I am thankfull.
I will try my hand at it tomorrow myself and then provide some results.

Thanks again, for your help.
GlenG
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2003, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew B.
Hi. This is an interesting picture because the look is so natural I didn't want to take it too far, or not far enough. I'm still not sure which I did.
You did fine by me. I have gotten a solution by Steve that provides me the basis for work without added process and yours that provides me a way to see which is easier and results in a happy model.

I must admit that your use of the Neat Image software does provide a much softer skin tone look which I am after.
Thanks for the quick work Andrew. I will follow up with my personal results.
This forum is great and I thank my friends for sending me here, not just lip service but helpful folks.

Regards,
GlenG
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2003, 10:38 PM

GlenG, this might be more response than you are looking for, the responses already provided are great.

I gave it a try and have just one added thought, the dark spots on her face. When traditional methods of skin smoothing are used the black in the dark spots 'greys' down the skin. Since what I did was a little different, here it is (a screen shot is my final with the layers).

Duplicated the layer, just for safety

On the duplicate (Layer A); sampled and painted with a paint brush in color mode to change the color of the dark spots to a pretty skin color. Then used the clone tool on low opacity back and forth to remove bumps. Ocassionaly used patch tool when I had smooth skin texture to sample (created by clone work).

Duped that layer and applied gaussian blur, then masked to just skin.

Duped layer A and moved to top, reduced opacity to just bring in a little skin texture.

Sorry if you now have too many choices,
Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model-with-layers.jpg (85.6 KB, 202 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2003, 10:32 PM

Glen, I have been trying various techniques to try and fix problems like this image has. Take a look at this and see if it is anything like you are trying to achieve. If so, I'll post what I did.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model_kb.jpg (94.7 KB, 201 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2003, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by roger_ele
GlenG, this might be more response than you are looking for, the responses already provided are great.

I gave it a try and have just one added thought, the dark spots on her face. When traditional methods of skin smoothing are used the black in the dark spots 'greys' down the skin. Since what I did was a little different, here it is (a screen shot is my final with the layers).

Duplicated the layer, just for safety

On the duplicate (Layer A); sampled and painted with a paint brush in color mode to change the color of the dark spots to a pretty skin color. Then used the clone tool on low opacity back and forth to remove bumps. Ocassionaly used patch tool when I had smooth skin texture to sample (created by clone work).

Duped that layer and applied gaussian blur, then masked to just skin.

Duped layer A and moved to top, reduced opacity to just bring in a little skin texture.

Sorry if you now have too many choices,
Roger
Thanks Roger!

No, I do not have too many chances. I have many tutorials provided by all of you so far.
I like what you have done, but I still need to clear up the skin a bit more without sacrifice to her looks and to the over all image. I have however printed out your tips and will try to accomodate some of your techniques along with a few others that I have gotten.
I guess a good way to know what she will like is to have her see this SIG and all the solutions, that way I have a better feel for her needs.

Thanks again,
GlenG.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2003, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KenB
Glen, I have been trying various techniques to try and fix problems like this image has. Take a look at this and see if it is anything like you are trying to achieve. If so, I'll post what I did.

Ken
B I N G O!,
Ken, that is exactly the look I need. Her skin is clean and refined, however maintining the details of her features ( no plastic surgery).

...and the steps are?

Regards,
GlenG
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2003, 02:32 AM

There's actually a tutorial on this site that explains how to do this kind of thing.

It helps to have a grain removal filter. Then there's a bunch of the regular tools, clone tool especially, using at a lower than 100% strength gives really good results.

After you smooth out the skin you want to add a layer of 50% grey (over the skin only), change the layer to soft light, then add noise, and for her dark skin, probably fade the filter in darken mode.

Mig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jackie_brown.jpg (93.3 KB, 148 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help