RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Paper Texture Problem

Old 09-10-2003, 01:43 AM

I like what NeatImage was capable of doing for this photo. I too have a couple photos with a texture problem.
In this thread http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...&threadid=6907
there is a photo posted with a similar problem. I believe that the technique used for this photo may produce some good results also.
I am quite familiar with NeatImage and found that I can't live without it but think that it also can have a tendency to blur area's that we want to keep detailed. A different approach may be the ticket here and I'm hoping the tut mentioned in this thread will work. http://www.okongraphics.com/tutorial...itretouch.html
I'll give it a shot and repost the results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2003, 09:35 PM

There are good and bad ways to remove moire and stuff like that. The link to the tutorial from Conk is a good lesson in quick mask. The addition of noise at the end is also a good idea - otherwise I'd avoid this tutorial. There are much better ways out there if you look for them. Gaussian blur, for one, is overrated. Also of note, the 'improvement' to the model in the picture the author chose to use is to remove her freckles, as if freckles are an unnattractive feature on a person's face. Here's a picture of one of the world's top supermodels, Mini Anden - and her face earns her $10,000 a day.

Mig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anden.jpg (65.9 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2003, 01:34 AM

Mig
The point of the models freckles being appropriate or not is a whole different issue. The issue here is regarding a technique that would best remove the paper texture from the image.
NeatImage as I've said does an excellent job at removing noise. I tried a combination of techniques here. In the attached photo
#1 is the original.
#2 I followed the quick masc tutorial but instead of applying a Gaussian blur I put the layer through NeatImage.
#3 was by following the quick mask tutorial as outlined.
I only removed texture on the face of the photo at this point. I found that the #2 version did not show quite as good results as the quick mask editing in version #3.
I tried to use the same editing process on the dress but was losing what little detail there is with the shadowed wrinkles.
These are the area's I am finding that pose a challenge. To remove the texture without removing much needed detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pattern-removal.jpg (69.2 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2003, 12:19 AM

I'm hoping that there will be some further help come this way for this texture problem.
If there are any answers to this I'd certainly like to read them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2003, 02:16 AM

I'm not sure what kind of feedback you want on this. But here it is with one pass of Neat Image. I think the detail retention in the face is right on. And given the photo, so is the background and vail. All this would need is cleanup, sharpen, and some fine grain added.

I can't say as much for the dress. Neat Image did reduce definition here. But even when I added it back by hand, it was still not enough to make it look right. Then I tried leaving some noise in the dress, thinking it might fool the eye. But it didn't fool my eye, because it gave sort of a knitted look. And I've never seen a knitted bridal gown. So I'm not sure what to do with the dress, except create fold definition by hand. But maybe one of the experienced retouchers has an idea for this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ab_pattern-removal.jpg (16.1 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2003, 11:55 AM

I appreciate you efforts on this Andrew.
I thought of NeatImage for this but knew that there would be loss in detail in the dress. Your kick at the cat doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. One place the detail was lost that I didn't think there was much of a texture problem was her hair.
One thing that comes to mind to try and save detail in the dress is to maybe try a way of making the detail stand out more before applying MI. I'll have to see what I can do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2003, 08:22 PM

I tried looking for the detail in the dress, and I could not see it. Even after boosting the folds in the denoised image to the level they were in the noisy image, it was still not enough. If there is detail in there it is being obscured by the noise. Or at least, my eyes can't make it out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2003, 09:31 PM

In these photos there is practically none. In the original it is tough to see but like I said before "what little detail there is". Mostely shadowing that I'll try brushing in.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2003, 11:02 PM

latest neat image pro plus 2.6 result
Attached Images
File Type: jpg textureproblem_solved.jpg (95.7 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help