Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Eyeglass Glint

Old 09-05-2003, 01:56 PM
You know, this is something I always ask an expert, how to do these extensive glass glares. I've never gotten a good answer. The other question, best way to go about braces removal. I've met retouchers who keep a library of teeth and eyeballs, and then just plop them into a picture if it looks sort of right. Either that, imperfect, or it's just cloning and painting, that's the best I've ever heard. I'd be interested in hearing how everybody else would approach something like this.

I've fixed glass glare on prints with dye or colored pencils. We'd just draw 'em in. In Photoshop, people tend to borrow eyes from someone else in the picture, or the lab I used to contract for would demand another picture of the person with the ext. gg so they could do a swap, and if none was available--refuse the job. It's just too easy for it to look wrong. I got a picture once someone else had tried... a man and his wife. She had big blue eyes and he had squinty little brown eyes. The retoucher just made a selection of the whole eyeball from the gal and pasted them inside his frames, eyelashes makeup and all! The guy looked like Divine. At least they bothered to color them brown. If you're going to clone somebody's iris, at least make the contours of the person's eye their own (and eyes are never symetrical). I met a photographer, and he would put hairspray on people's glasses before the shoot. That's probably the best solution I've ever heard. But some photographers are afraid to ask that when their clients are rich.

Would fiddle with them more if this was for real, couple shadows are wrong, but figure you get the idea. I just drew these eyes in with the paintbrush on these lo-res heads. That's it, always sampling from the faces and painting them back. Start with the eyelashes and use the contours of their skin to figure where their eyes are. Then build them back. Did I get their eyes right? I just guessed. It's very important to work on a layer that's a copy of the background. That way you can flip between a before and after to see if you're actually following where their eyes should be. Also, after I'd stare at a picture like this a while, and I do, I flip the canvas horizontally. Regions of the brain get used to it and you lose perspective, helps you see it fresh. Also you may need to add noise at the end for the higher res version. Good luck with them, they are difficult ones.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg extgglare.jpg (81.8 KB, 95 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2003, 02:30 PM
Wow, KJ!

What you did is excellent!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2003, 03:01 PM

You did an excellent job! I have spent hours already trying to fix this picture and have gotten part of it to look just fine, but I am nowhere near finished. You have done a fantastic job though...and much faster than me. I have borrowed eyes an glasses where appropriate but that doesn't always work if you want the picture to look natural.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2003, 03:48 PM
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help